Quantum Mechanics and the Big Bang: Exploring the Possibilities

• Thread starter Krasimir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary: One thing that seems clear to me is that the vacuum of space has a lot of energy in it, but it is not distributed evenly. One way to visualize that is to calculate the Casimir effect. I'm not sure how to explain the Casimir Effect, but I can give you a link to a description.In summary, there is currently only evidence for one big bang, but there are theories that propose the possibility of multiple big bangs or a cyclical universe. These theories are still highly speculative and the concept of time before the big bang is still not fully understood. The idea of a vacuum in space having energy is supported by the Casimir effect, but its distribution is not uniform. There is still much to
Krasimir
Was there only 1 big bang? Why not 2 or 3 or billion ?
Please don't flame me - I'm not physicist, I'm just curious :)
Thanks very much for attention.

Space news on Phys.org
If there can be more than 1...
Was there a time?
Can be one bigger then another?
What will happen when their bubbles collide?
Can there be different evolution of forces? or can there be different forces in different big bang bubbles ?
How they possibly will interact if they meet each other?

Last edited:
WOW this was old and so interesting:)

I have read about the Chaotic Inflation theory and Big Bounce, also about the Quantum foam but... there's many new words for me as u may guess.
Can u give me readings for beginners about quantum mechanics or anything that can help me understand? also i have some other questions -
Is the Linde "background space-time foam" the same thing as "Quantum foam" devised by
John Wheeler?
And from Big Bounce theory objections - "Furthermore, it remains a possibility that a better understanding of quantum foam may result in a re-interpretation of the evidence regarding the fate of our universe." can this lead back to Chaotic Inflation theory?
And from Chaotic Inflation theory - "Each universe within the multiverse can have a different set of constants and physical laws." can they mix?
Oh i hope that these things are not so complicated as interesting xD

Krasimir said:
Was there only 1 big bang? Why not 2 or 3 or billion ?
Please don't flame me - I'm not physicist, I'm just curious :)
Thanks very much for attention.
There's only one that we see. There's no reason whatsoever why it has to be the only one.

My view is that matter and energy has always existed, and did not appear out of a vaccume or nothing. Space itself may have infinite volume, but there appears to be a finite amount of matter and energy within this infinite space.

The big bang implies that all matter and energy at one point was condensed into a singularity that exploded scattering the finite amount of matter and energy through out infinite space.

I imagine we have this expansion, and gravitational centers form as matter starts to recombine into stars and black holes. Eventually certain points within the Universe will start to form massive gravitational points causing a retraction of matter into these centers as they start to consume all matter.

This form of gravitational decay eventually starts to slow expansion and the intensity of these super gravitational systems, black holes will eventually recombine to one massive point in the Universe that will become the new point of singularity where by everything will swirl around like a toilet flushing in this final vortex and the singularity can form once again.

Another big bang, and the process could repeat for infinity. If this is true, we might be able to calculate the time of expansion, the collapse of systems into gravitational hot spots, the recombining of these hotspots into a massive center.

It may take 37 billion years, 109 billion years, I am not sure how to calculate that math because I really don't know the finite volume of matter vs the gravity it creates to affect the current expansion into contraction. I'm sure someone will get it if it's true.

I think it ducks the big issue. A cyclical universe is aesthetically pleasing, but, does not really answer the question. A temporally finite universe raises disturbing issues. It implies a pre-existing state beyond our ability to comprehend. I am content with that explanation.

Krasimir said:
I have read about the Chaotic Inflation theory and Big Bounce, also about the Quantum foam but... there's many new words for me as u may guess.
Can u give me readings for beginners about quantum mechanics or anything that can help me understand? also i have some other questions -
Is the Linde "background space-time foam" the same thing as "Quantum foam" devised by
John Wheeler?
And from Big Bounce theory objections - "Furthermore, it remains a possibility that a better understanding of quantum foam may result in a re-interpretation of the evidence regarding the fate of our universe." can this lead back to Chaotic Inflation theory?
And from Chaotic Inflation theory - "Each universe within the multiverse can have a different set of constants and physical laws." can they mix?
Oh i hope that these things are not so complicated as interesting xD

I'm not qualified to give you in depth on these topics, but one thing I will point out is that any theory that talks about before the big bang is, at this point, extremely speculative. If there is a way to describe an outcome of the theory coherently, then it is "possible" in the sense that none of these theories have any direct evidence to support them.

What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

What evidence supports the Big Bang Theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Big Bang Theory, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, and the redshift of galaxies. These observations are all consistent with the idea that the universe was once much hotter and denser than it is now.

What caused the Big Bang?

The cause of the Big Bang is still a subject of scientific debate. Some theories propose that it was a natural event, while others suggest it was triggered by a previous universe or a quantum fluctuation. Ultimately, we may never know the true cause.

Is the Big Bang the only theory for the origin of the universe?

No, there are other theories that attempt to explain the origin of the universe, such as the steady state theory and the oscillating universe theory. However, the Big Bang Theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported by scientific evidence.

What is the ultimate fate of the universe according to the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory predicts that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely, with galaxies moving further and further apart. Eventually, the universe will become cold and dark as all of the stars run out of fuel. However, this is only one possibility and there are other theories that propose different fates for the universe.