Should I Pursue a Master's in Physics Despite an Engineering Background?

Your Name] In summary, the individual completed their engineering degree in 2007, but did not enjoy it or find it fulfilling. After briefly considering pursuing an MBA, they became interested in social work and joined an NGO. However, they ultimately discovered a passion for physics and are now planning to pursue a Master's degree in the field. They are seeking guidance on their academic qualifications and career path.
Karan_85
I completed my engineering in 2007. Took ECE that time because it was very much in trend and seemed to have good career prospect. Didn think much about what i liked. College sucked and didn't study at all. Didn like the subjects. then while i was studying for MBA entrance I started watching lots of News and was somewhat disturbed by looking at the condition of my nation at grass root level. Felt that something should be done about it and left my MBA thing - got interested into NGO's and social work. Applied for two of the reputed colleges but didn't get through.

I joined a renowned NGO after that and worked there for 8 months at grass root level. Like it but i kept feeling that i can do more.

After that I was vacant for a long time figuring what i really need in Life. While working at a small company I Realized how much i love science.

So tried going back to my specialty. I believe that everything happens for a reason and my being a Telecom Engineer had a reason attached to it. Currently I am working in a Telecom Sector and there is nothing interesting about it. No creativity, no application of your skills. It all comes down to Managerial work.

I don't want to be a corporate slave. Money doesn't Intrigue me at all.

I want to learn about physics, mainly quantum physics, about how things are at quantum level. Stuff like String theory, mass defect and all.

I don't know now what to Pursue.

I am planning for my Masters in Physics.

Academic Qualification:

GPA = 7.0 ( High School)
GPA = 6.0 (Engineering)

Please Guide about the same.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. It sounds like you have gone through a lot of self-discovery and have found a passion for science, specifically physics. Pursuing a Master's degree in Physics seems like a great next step for you.

I can relate to your desire to learn about quantum physics and the mysteries of the universe. It is a fascinating field and there is still so much to discover and understand. I would encourage you to continue your studies in this area and see where it takes you.

In terms of your academic qualifications, I would suggest reaching out to different universities and speaking with their admissions departments to see what their requirements are for the Master's program in Physics. They may also be able to provide guidance on any additional courses or experience you may need to strengthen your application.

I would also recommend networking with other physicists and researchers in the field. They may be able to offer valuable insights and advice on your academic and career path. Additionally, attending conferences and seminars related to quantum physics can also help you gain knowledge and make connections in the field.

Lastly, I would encourage you to keep an open mind and explore different opportunities within the field of physics. There are many different areas of research and applications, and you may find your passion lies in a specific subfield. Don't limit yourself and continue to learn and grow as a scientist.

Best of luck to you in your pursuit of a Master's degree in Physics. I have no doubt that with your determination and passion, you will succeed in making a difference in the world of science.

1. What is academic guidance and why is it important?

Academic guidance refers to the support and assistance provided to students by educators or professionals to help them achieve their academic goals. It is important because it helps students develop necessary skills, overcome challenges, and make informed decisions about their education.

2. Who can benefit from academic guidance?

Academic guidance can benefit students of all ages and levels, from primary school to university. It can also be helpful for individuals who are returning to education or seeking career advancement.

3. What does academic guidance include?

Academic guidance can include a variety of services such as academic planning, study skills development, time management strategies, career counseling, and assistance with college applications or job search.

4. How does academic guidance differ from tutoring?

While tutoring focuses on specific subject areas and helps students improve their understanding of a particular topic, academic guidance takes a more holistic approach and addresses overall academic success and development.

5. How can I find academic guidance?

Academic guidance can be found through various resources such as school counselors, academic advisors, career centers, and online platforms. It is also beneficial to seek guidance from trusted educators or professionals in your field of interest.