Start Learning Physics: Textbooks & Resources for Beginners

• Thread starter Kieron
  • Start date
In summary, Kieron is looking for help in understanding physics and math and recommends starting with a book like Halliday and Resnick or an online intro physics textbook. He also recommends having a grounding in calculus and complex numbers.
Kieron
I was wondering if you good folk could point me in the right direction. I am a lay person interested in physics, and after reading a good number of books aimed at the general public, it is oblivious that to have a deeper understanding I need to do the maths. And since I have the draw back of all ignorant people, i.e. I don’t know what I don’t know; a pointer to a starting point would be handy.
Any textbooks, on-line resources you would recommend etc would be helpful, and I can have fun over the next few years and then maybe I will be able to understand some of the questions I see on here

Thanks

Kieron

Physics news on Phys.org
Kieron said:
I was wondering if you good folk could point me in the right direction. I am a lay person interested in physics, and after reading a good number of books aimed at the general public, it is oblivious that to have a deeper understanding I need to do the maths. And since I have the draw back of all ignorant people, i.e. I don’t know what I don’t know; a pointer to a starting point would be handy.
Any textbooks, on-line resources you would recommend etc would be helpful, and I can have fun over the next few years and then maybe I will be able to understand some of the questions I see on here

Thanks

Kieron

Since you didn't describe at what level your math background is, I'll make a guess. I suggest you start with the typical undergraduate intro physics text, such as Halliday and Resnick. It's a huge (and heavy) book, and makes a good door-stopper after you're done with it.

There are several online intro physics textbooks/sites. I haven't had time to go through these carefully, so while I'm suggesting it, I can't verify if these are completely accurate.

http://www.lightandmatter.com/
http://motionmountain.dse.nl/contents.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two tools which are very helpful at a casual level -- the first is a good undertstanding of ordinary algebra -- if you cannot read an equation or see how someone has manipulated one to progress a step then you are stuck . And yet with a good High school algebra you can understand the elements of Special Relativity,
The second is at least a grounding in calculus , not so much perhaps to actually do calculations because it gets rapidly complex -- but mainly to see why someone is tackling a problem in such a way and what they are aiming at.
With this you may not be able to reproduce Maxwells equations -- but you can see what he was doing and why the result was EM waves .
Third an appreciation of what is meant by 'complex numbers' and trigonometric functions like sines cosines etc -- without which it is hard to know what is meant by a wave.
Clearly the list goes on according to what you would like to study , and perhaps one approach is to look at one or two areas you are interested in and see what they require to at least get an appreciation -- if you do this then you can ask more specific questions as to learning sources on specific topics .
Ray.

FAQ: Start Learning Physics: Textbooks & Resources for Beginners

1. What are some recommended textbooks for beginners learning physics?

The most commonly recommended textbooks for beginners learning physics are "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Conceptual Physics" by Hewitt. These textbooks cover the fundamental concepts of physics and are written in a clear and easy-to-understand manner.

2. Are there any online resources that can help me learn physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for beginners learning physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. These websites offer interactive lessons, videos, and practice problems to help you understand the concepts better.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to learn physics?

While a strong math background can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to have advanced math skills to learn physics. Basic algebra and trigonometry are usually sufficient for introductory physics courses. However, having a good understanding of math concepts will make it easier to understand and apply physics principles.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular concept in physics?

If you are struggling with a particular concept in physics, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. You can also try breaking down the concept into smaller parts and practicing with different examples. Additionally, there are many online forums and communities where you can ask for help and clarification from other physics enthusiasts.

5. How should I approach studying physics?

The best way to approach studying physics is to start with the fundamentals and build a strong foundation. Make sure you understand the basic principles and concepts before moving on to more complex topics. Practice solving problems and try to make connections between different concepts. It is also helpful to review your notes regularly and ask questions when you don't understand something.