Corrosion Engineering Degree | Scholarships in Oil/Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of a graduate degree in Corrosion engineering and scholarships for it. The U. of Akron in the US offers this program and has a new program specifically for corrosion engineering. It is suggested to contact them for more information, as well as the Nat. Assoc. of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) for information on becoming a CE. The person expressing interest in the program expresses gratitude for the information and plans to check the website for more information.
luxlucis
Hi! I would like to ask if there is a university which offers a graduate degree in Corrosion engineering and have scholarships available? I am currently working as a Piping Materials Engineer in a Japanese company and I would like to pursue the field of corrosion engineering specially that it is highly in demand in the oil and gas industry.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you let your fingers do the googling, you come up with the U. of Akron in the US:

http://www.uakron.edu/uakroncorrosion/

it appears to be a new program (First time in America!). I would contact them about the CE program and any questions you have about scholarships.

I would also suggest you contact the Nat. Assoc. of Corrosion Engineers (NACE).
http://www.nace.org/home.aspx

Their Foundation has more information about becoming a CE.

Good Luck!

SteamKing said:
If you let your fingers do the googling, you come up with the U. of Akron in the US:

http://www.uakron.edu/uakroncorrosion/

it appears to be a new program (First time in America!). I would contact them about the CE program and any questions you have about scholarships.

I would also suggest you contact the Nat. Assoc. of Corrosion Engineers (NACE).
http://www.nace.org/home.aspx

Their Foundation has more information about becoming a CE.

Good Luck!

Thank you for that! I will try to check the site. I hope I get the good news.

thank you for the link man! i will see to it that i get what i need to be part of this program.

Hello! Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, there are several universities that offer graduate degrees in Corrosion Engineering, such as the University of Akron, Ohio State University, and the University of Manchester. These programs typically cover topics such as corrosion control, materials selection, and failure analysis in various industries, including oil and gas.

In terms of scholarships, there are also many opportunities available for students pursuing a degree in Corrosion Engineering. One example is the NACE Foundation's Corrosion Engineering Scholarship, which provides financial support to students studying corrosion engineering and related fields. Additionally, some universities may offer their own scholarships or financial aid options for graduate students.

I highly recommend researching and applying for scholarships that align with your academic and career goals. You may also consider reaching out to your employer or other organizations in the oil and gas industry for potential funding opportunities.

Best of luck in your pursuit of a Corrosion Engineering degree! It is a valuable and highly sought-after field in the oil and gas industry, and I am confident that your skills and knowledge will be in high demand.

1. What is a corrosion engineering degree?

A corrosion engineering degree is a specialized field of study that focuses on understanding and preventing the degradation of materials due to chemical reactions with their environment. This field is essential in industries such as oil and gas, where equipment and structures are constantly exposed to harsh environments and corrosive substances.

2. What are the job prospects for graduates with a corrosion engineering degree?

Graduates with a corrosion engineering degree have a high demand in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and manufacturing, where corrosion prevention is crucial for the longevity of equipment and structures. These professionals can also work in research and development, consulting, and government agencies.

3. Are there any scholarships available for students pursuing a corrosion engineering degree?

Yes, there are numerous scholarships available for students pursuing a corrosion engineering degree. Many companies in the oil and gas industry offer scholarships to students interested in this field. Additionally, there are also scholarships offered by professional organizations and universities for students studying corrosion engineering.

4. What skills are necessary for a successful career in corrosion engineering?

A successful career in corrosion engineering requires a strong understanding of chemistry, materials science, and engineering principles. Additionally, excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills are essential for identifying and mitigating corrosion issues. Good communication skills are also important for working with teams and presenting findings to clients or colleagues.

5. What are the potential challenges of studying corrosion engineering?

Studying corrosion engineering can be challenging as it requires a strong foundation in math, chemistry, and engineering principles. It can also be a physically demanding job, as corrosion engineers may need to inspect and maintain equipment in harsh environments. Additionally, staying updated with new technologies and techniques in the field is crucial for a successful career in corrosion engineering.