Intersection of a Curve and a Surface

In summary, the problem is to find the points of intersection between the curve r(t)=ti+2tj+t2k and the surface z = x2+y2-100. The given equations are r(t)=<t, 2t, t2> and z = x2+y2-100. By substituting the values of x, y, and z from the curve equation into the surface equation, we get t2 = (t)2+(2t)2-100. Solving for t, we get t = +/- 5. Plugging in t=5 and t=-5 into the curve equation, we get the points (5, 10, 25) and (-5, -
major_maths
1. At what points does the curve r(t)=ti+2tj+t2k intersect the surface z = x2+y2-100? Give the coordinates of the points.

2. Given equations above.

3. r(t)=<t, 2t, t2>
z = x2+y2-100
(t2) = (t)2+(2t)-100
-4t2 = -100
t = sqrt(25) = +/- 5

when t = 5, (5, 10, 25)
when t = -5 (-5, -10, 25)

This was a problem on a test, and when I got it back my teacher gave me zero credit. So, I don't think I know how to do this sort of problem but I'm coming up with a blank when I try to solve it a different way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
major_maths said:
1. At what points does the curve r(t)=ti+2tj+t2k intersect the surface z = x2+y2-100? Give the coordinates of the points.

2. Given equations above.

3. r(t)=<t, 2t, t2>
z = x2+y2-100
(t2) = (t)2+(2t)-100
Should be
t2 = (t)2+(2t)2-100

major_maths said:
-4t2 = -100
t = sqrt(25) = +/- 5
sqrt(25) means the principal square root of 25, which is 5.
Your equation above should be t = +/-sqrt(25) = +/- 5
major_maths said:
when t = 5, (5, 10, 25)
when t = -5 (-5, -10, 25)
I get the same points. Maybe your instructor marked off because of the errors I pointed out. It might be worthwhile to ask your instructor why you got no credit for the problem.

r(5) = <5, 10, 25> and (5, 10, 25) is a point on the surface (which happens to be a paraboloid).
r(-5) = <-5, -10, 25) and (-5, -10, 25) is another point on the surface.

major_maths said:
This was a problem on a test, and when I got it back my teacher gave me zero credit. So, I don't think I know how to do this sort of problem but I'm coming up with a blank when I try to solve it a different way.

1. What is the intersection of a curve and a surface?

The intersection of a curve and a surface is the set of points where the curve and the surface meet or touch each other. It can be thought of as the points of overlap between the two.

2. How can the intersection of a curve and a surface be calculated?

The intersection of a curve and a surface can be calculated by finding the points where the equations of the curve and the surface are satisfied simultaneously. This can be done using various mathematical methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

3. What does the intersection of a curve and a surface represent?

The intersection of a curve and a surface represents the points where the two objects share a common property or characteristic. In many cases, it can also represent a solution to a problem or equation.

4. Can the intersection of a curve and a surface be a single point?

Yes, the intersection of a curve and a surface can be a single point if the two objects do not have any other points in common. This can happen when the curve and the surface are in different dimensions or if they do not intersect at any other point.

5. How does the intersection of a curve and a surface affect the curvature of the objects?

The intersection of a curve and a surface can affect the curvature of the objects in different ways. For example, if the curve and the surface intersect at a right angle, it can result in a sharp change in curvature at that point. On the other hand, if the intersection is at a tangent, it may not have a significant impact on the overall curvature of the objects.