Any P G Wodehouse fans out there ? If yes, your favorite quotes

• Thread starter Singham
  • Start date
In summary, some P G Wodehouse fans out there might enjoy quotes about Shakespeare, Marcus Aurelius, and Spinoza.
Singham
Any P G Wodehouse fans out there ?? If yes, your favorite quotes!

I was just wondering how many of PF people like P G Wodehouse books.

Physics news on Phys.org

Same here. The humor isn't directed at me too as I am a 25 year old Indian but still I find it funny.:biggrin:

Some of my favorite books are - Code of the Woosters, Right Ho Jeeves , Leave it to Psmith , Summer Lightning , Mulliner Nights .

I read most of P.G. Wodehouse many years ago and loved them. It's been so long, in fact, I can't even recall the names of any of them, which means they're ripe for re-reading.

My eldest son caught an episode of BBC's Jeeves and Wooster about a week ago. I remembered I have a copy of "Much Obliged Jeeves" that I've never touched. I've nearly finished it, couldn't put it down, my son is reading it too. Totally addictive, and there's not many books that make me laugh out loud, this does. Need to get some more of them. Bertie Wooster seems to get involved in insane situations, make them worse, (with hilarious consequences) and the original situations sort themselves out anyway.

I'll try a quote (from memory):

Bertie Wooster in conversation with his Aunt Dahlia about the death of the husband of the formidable prospective Labour candidate for Market Snodsbury:

Aunt Dahlia: "He got himself run over by a municipal tram"
Bertie Wooster: "I don't blame him!"

zoobyshoe said:
I can't even recall the names of any of them.

How could you forget the name Stilton Cheesewright?

cobalt124 said:
How could you forget the name Stilton Cheesewright?

I can't explain it.

Actually, I figured out I went through my Wodehouse phase something like 35 years ago.

one of my favorite quotes is
"Half of the world doesn't know how the other three-quarter lives"Furthermore, P G Wodehouse books also contain numerous quotes by Shakespeare, Marcus Aurelius , and many others.

Also Jeeves is known to be a big fan of Spinoza!

The best one I can remember.

P.G. Wodehouse said:
If that doesn't leave me without a stain on my character, well, then I don't know what it does leave me without a stain on.

1. What makes P G Wodehouse's writing so enjoyable?

P G Wodehouse's writing is known for its witty humor, clever wordplay, and entertaining characters. His stories are full of absurd situations and hilarious misunderstandings, making them a joy to read.

2. Who are some of the most popular characters in Wodehouse's stories?

Some of the most beloved characters in Wodehouse's stories include the bumbling Bertie Wooster, his clever butler Jeeves, and the eccentric Lord Emsworth and his beloved pig, the Empress of Blandings.

3. Do I need to read Wodehouse's stories in a particular order?

While Wodehouse did write a few series of connected stories, most of his works are standalone and can be read in any order. However, some readers prefer to start with one of his most popular works, such as "Right Ho, Jeeves" or "The Code of the Woosters."

4. What are some of the most famous quotes from Wodehouse's works?

"He looked haggard and careworn, like a Borgia who has suddenly remembered that he has forgotten to lock the cupboard where he keeps his strychnine." - from "The Code of the Woosters"

"It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine." - from "Joy in the Morning"

"I always advise people never to give advice." - from "The Mating Season"

5. Are there any film or TV adaptations of Wodehouse's stories?

Yes, there have been numerous film and TV adaptations of Wodehouse's works, including the popular TV series "Jeeves and Wooster" starring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry. However, many fans argue that the best way to experience Wodehouse's humor is through his original books.