What is the role of speed and acceleration in delivering an effective punch?

• Thread starter Surgikill117
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the phone said that it experienced 8.5 g's. I then calculated vf using the kinematics equations and got 110 m/s. Then I did f=ma and got 74 n or ~168 ft. lbs. of force.
Surgikill117
Hey guys I am a high school senior and this is my first year taking physics. I am really interested in the subject and like to find out real world problems for fun. One of the things I am trying to do is find my punching speed. I downloaded an acceleration app for my phone that displays the amount of felt g's using the accelerometer. I then tried to change this into m/s^2 and find out the speed of my punch and the force being exerted upon it. It came out to be around 110 m/s and about 748 N of force. I don't think that this is correct so I was wondering what I am doing wrong? Is my phone not accurate (more than likely) or do I need a different equation other than average acceleration and f=ma? If you want the equations I am using just ask and I will upload some photos.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

How many "g's" did the phone say it felt? If you assume constant acceleration, you can figure out how fast your fist should be moving at the end of the displacement using the kinematics equations. You know a, you know d, you assume vi = 0, and then you can find vf.

It said that it experienced 8.5 g's. I assumed that vi was 0 and that my arm travels about 26 inches. I converted everything into m and calculated it and got 110 m/s as vf. Then did f=ma and got 74 n or ~168 ft. lbs of force.

Oh and I said that my arm was about 15 lbs or 6.8 kg, which is about right.

Well, for one thing you decelerate over a much smaller time interval and distance interval than you accelerate. So the sudden stop when your arm reaches full extension is going to cause the phone to feel a huge acceleration.

Secondly, you forgot to take a square root:

$$v_f^2 = 2ad$$

2*a*d = 110 m2/s2

You need to take the square root to get the final speed. 36 km/h sounds plausible I guess. So maybe I was wrong about the deceleration. Maybe the phone doesn't measure that, or it takes an average, or something.

Well I am trying to figure the speed at which somebody would be hit, so I am thinking that the deceleration from my arm would be almost equal to if not less than from hitting a person. I am kind of missing you on the square root thing, do you mean I need to take the square root of 2ad? Because vf is squared?

Surgikill117 said:
Well I am trying to figure the speed at which somebody would be hit, so I am thinking that the deceleration from my arm would be almost equal to if not less than from hitting a person. I am kind of missing you on the square root thing, do you mean I need to take the square root of 2ad? Because vf is squared?

Yeah, of course.

The impulse delivered in a punch has very little to do with the speed or acceleration of the fist, and much more to do with what the puncher does with the rest of his/her body. A trained person can do much more damage with an elbow strike than with a punch, yet the speed and acceleration of the elbow is far less than he can achieve with his fist. Why is that?

You can think of this in terms of impulse, energy, or momentum. Any way you look at it, you have to apply a force for a period of time or over a distance of travel. Any force imparted has to be transmitted to an equal and opposite force reacted by the ground. Nearly all the training to deliver an effective strike is aimed at maximizing the reaction force transmitted to the ground.

To get to the ground, the force has to follow an efficient load path, or it will be absorbed by your body, which is the connection between the force delivered to the victim and the reaction to the ground. So you learn how to shape that load path to keep it as short and as simple as possible, and how to make it pass through the strongest parts of your body.

The other important thing is delivering an effective strike is to maximize duration of force. That is why in Jujitsu I was always train to never deliver a strike to a person’s face. Aim for the back of the head. The face is just in the way. Punch through the face and head.

Nothing can demonstrate this better than the “one inch punch” made famous by Bruce Lee. It is possible to deliver nearly full punching power with only one inch of fist acceleration distance if you do everything correctly in the rest of your body. This was never meant to be a credible fighting technique, but rather a training method to remove the speed and acceleration of the fist from the equation all together and focusing on training the rest of the body to effectively develop the reaction force to the ground.

So if you want to understand the physics of delivering an effective punch, learn how to draw a free body diagram and understand the load paths through your body. Speed and acceleration are important, but more so for what the rest of your body is doing than for your fist.

Pkruse said:
The impulse delivered in a punch has very little to do with the speed or acceleration of the fist, and much more to do with what the puncher does with the rest of his/her body. A trained person can do much more damage with an elbow strike than with a punch, yet the speed and acceleration of the elbow is far less than he can achieve with his fist. Why is that?

You can think of this in terms of impulse, energy, or momentum. Any way you look at it, you have to apply a force for a period of time or over a distance of travel. Any force imparted has to be transmitted to an equal and opposite force reacted by the ground. Nearly all the training to deliver an effective strike is aimed at maximizing the reaction force transmitted to the ground.

To get to the ground, the force has to follow an efficient load path, or it will be absorbed by your body, which is the connection between the force delivered to the victim and the reaction to the ground. So you learn how to shape that load path to keep it as short and as simple as possible, and how to make it pass through the strongest parts of your body.

The other important thing is delivering an effective strike is to maximize duration of force. That is why in Jujitsu I was always train to never deliver a strike to a person’s face. Aim for the back of the head. The face is just in the way. Punch through the face and head.

Nothing can demonstrate this better than the “one inch punch” made famous by Bruce Lee. It is possible to deliver nearly full punching power with only one inch of fist acceleration distance if you do everything correctly in the rest of your body. This was never meant to be a credible fighting technique, but rather a training method to remove the speed and acceleration of the fist from the equation all together and focusing on training the rest of the body to effectively develop the reaction force to the ground.

So if you want to understand the physics of delivering an effective punch, learn how to draw a free body diagram and understand the load paths through your body. Speed and acceleration are important, but more so for what the rest of your body is doing than for your fist.

I completely understand what you are saying, I am a black belt in karate, I just wanted to do this for its and giggles. See if the accelerometer measurement was any accurate.

1. How is punch speed measured?

The speed of a punch is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). It can be measured using a speed bag or a punch tracker device.

2. What affects punch speed?

There are several factors that can affect punch speed, including technique, strength and conditioning, and muscle fiber composition. Additionally, a fighter's body size and weight can also play a role.

3. What is considered a fast punch speed?

The average punch speed for a professional boxer is around 25 mph or 40 km/h. However, some top fighters have been recorded with speeds over 30 mph or 48 km/h.

4. How is g-force related to punch speed?

G-force, or the force of gravity, is a measure of acceleration. When a punch is thrown, the fist accelerates and exerts a certain amount of g-force on impact. The greater the punch speed, the higher the g-force exerted.

5. Can punch speed be improved?

Yes, punch speed can be improved through proper training and conditioning. This includes practicing proper technique, building strength and power, and improving speed and agility through drills and exercises. However, genetics and body type can also play a role in a person's maximum punch speed.