How not to get bored when self-studying?

In summary, the individual is experiencing boredom while self-studying from multiple math textbooks. They love math but find it difficult to stay engaged and motivated while working through the textbooks. They seek advice on how to handle this problem, and the response suggests learning to skip easy problems and seek out harder ones, as well as seeking help from online forums. The challenges of self-studying and the structure of university courses are also discussed.
Vahsek
Hello PF,

I hope that I'm not repeating an old thread; I've searched for this thread in here, and could not find any.​

So, on to my problem then: I've been self-studying from a few math textbooks for a while now. But, the problem is that I quickly get bored while working through the textbook, and as a result, I start to feel lazy and want to avoid even looking into the textbook. This is really bad.​

Now, the problem is not that I find math boring - in fact, I LOVE math. But still, I don't know why I get bored as I work through the textbooks. And this is really annoying because I feel like I really want to continue working through the textbook, but for some reason I find it boring.​

Sorry if it felt like I've been rambling, but I'd really like to hear how you guys would handle this problem of mine. Thank you in advance for your help.​

Physics news on Phys.org
Boredom sets in when the challenge becomes too easy.

Are you working through a few textbooks on the same subject, at the same level? If you've already mastered a subject from reading one textbook then it's going to be really boring reading it through again in a second. Learn to skip!

The same goes for doing problems. Many textbooks have dozens of simple problems that you can do easily, so there is no challenge, and you quickly get bored. But many will say, and they have a point, that it's useful doing many problems to really hammer in the understanding.

So - learn to skip easy problems, but seek out harder problems in other textbooks & past exam papers. (Don't just skip and play video games!) Of course, now you face being totally stumped by some problems 'cause the challenge is too high, and this leads to stress rather than boredom. So - pose these hard problems in these forums (or any other help!), and while waiting for answers, go and look for slightly simpler problem sets!

I think you've found one of the main problems of self studying. In a University, good lecturers arrange a course of study that should keep boredom & stress at a minimum; with snazzy lectures, directed reading, exciting tutorials, instant help, superb labs, useful exams, and problems sets that are at the right level of difficulty.

You, as a self-studier, need to be your own director of studies without knowing the subject. I'm not sure this is even possible, which is why there aren't any self made physicists around today, at least not any that I've heard of. (If there is, they need to write a book on how they did it!)

Physics and maths textbooks are infuriating! You start reading a chapter and they draw you in with interesting concepts; it becomes even more interesting than reading most novels. But then they introduce a concept you can't understand (stress!), then they give you lots of tedious problems (boredom!). You try another textbook and it just increases the web of interest, stress and boredom. It's difficult! You need a support group. So take a course, don't self study. Or give it up and read novels, or take up fishing, anything that holds your interest which is less traumatic. That is, anything but hard drugs.

I keep on thinking of self studying some advanced physics (I did a degree in physics many moons ago) but the hurdles are so high, the path between stress and boredom so narrow, I think I'll just stick to reading novels, and surfing the forums and chatting.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. How can I stay motivated when self-studying?

One way to stay motivated when self-studying is to set specific goals for yourself. This could include completing a certain number of chapters or assignments each day, or mastering a particular concept. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the reasons why you are studying in the first place and the benefits it will bring.

2. How can I make self-studying more engaging?

There are several ways to make self-studying more engaging. One approach is to incorporate different learning methods, such as using visuals, practicing through quizzes or games, or discussing the material with others. Another tip is to switch up your study environment to keep things interesting.

3. How can I avoid getting distracted while self-studying?

One strategy to avoid distractions while self-studying is to create a designated study space that is free of distractions, such as turning off your phone or finding a quiet place to work. You can also try setting a timer for specific periods of focused studying, followed by short breaks to check your phone or take a walk.

4. How can I stay organized when self-studying?

Staying organized is key when self-studying. One way to do this is to create a study schedule or to-do list that outlines what material you need to cover and when. It can also be helpful to keep all of your notes and materials in one place, such as a binder or folder.

5. How can I make self-studying more enjoyable?

To make self-studying more enjoyable, try incorporating activities or topics that interest you into your study sessions. This could include using real-life examples or finding ways to relate the material to your hobbies or personal experiences. You can also reward yourself after completing a study session or task to make the process more enjoyable.