Finding time given acceleration and velocity

In summary, to find the time given acceleration and velocity, use the equation t = v/a, where t is time, v is velocity, and a is acceleration, and make sure to use consistent units. Negative values can be used for both acceleration and velocity, with negative acceleration indicating deceleration and negative velocity indicating a change in direction. To check if your answer is correct, plug it back into the original equation and solve for the missing variable or use online calculators or ask for a second opinion. This concept has many real-world applications such as calculating the time for a car to stop or a projectile to reach its peak height.
stacerho
I am having troubles with a physics question. I can't figure out what formula to use to solve the following question:

Particle A passes a point with an initial velocity of 14.3 m/s and an acceleration of 4.15 m/x^2. Particle B has a 46 m head start at 7.85 m/s with an acceleration of 2.68 m/s^2. At what time will A pass B? Answer in units of s.

Any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you come across the kinematic equations for constant acceleration? Which one of these do you think you should use, considering the variables you are given?

Based on the given information, it seems like this question involves calculating the time it takes for Particle A to catch up to Particle B. To do this, we can use the formula t = (v - u)/a, where t is the time, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. In this case, we can set up two equations, one for Particle A and one for Particle B, and then equate them to solve for t.

For Particle A, we have t = (v - u)/a, where v = unknown, u = 14.3 m/s, and a = 4.15 m/x^2. We can rearrange this equation to solve for v, giving us v = at + u.

For Particle B, we have t = (v - u)/a, where v = 7.85 m/s, u = 46 m, and a = 2.68 m/s^2. We can again rearrange this equation to solve for v, giving us v = at + u.

Now, we can equate these two equations to get at + u = at + u. We can then simplify this to get a = a(t - t) + u - u. This simplifies to 0 = at - at - u + u, which gives us t = t. This means that the time it takes for Particle A to catch up to Particle B is t = t, or simply t = 0.

In conclusion, the two particles will meet at the starting point, meaning that Particle A will pass Particle B at t = 0 seconds. I hope this helps with your question and provides some guidance on what formula to use. Remember to always carefully read the question and identify what information is given and what is being asked for. Good luck!

Related to Finding time given acceleration and velocity

1. How do I find the time given acceleration and velocity?

To find the time given acceleration and velocity, you can use the equation t = v/a, where t is time, v is velocity, and a is acceleration. Simply divide the velocity by the acceleration to get the time in seconds.

2. What units should I use for acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) and velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s). It is important to use consistent units in your calculations to get an accurate result.

3. Can I use negative values for acceleration and velocity?

Yes, you can use negative values for both acceleration and velocity. A negative value for acceleration indicates deceleration or a decrease in velocity, while a negative value for velocity indicates a change in direction or movement in the opposite direction.

4. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check if your answer is correct by plugging it back into the original equation and solving for the missing variable. If the equation balances, then your answer is correct. You can also use online calculators or ask a colleague to double check your calculations.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding time given acceleration and velocity?

Yes, this concept is used in many real-world scenarios such as calculating the time it takes for a car to come to a stop given its acceleration and initial velocity, determining the time it takes for a projectile to reach its peak height, or estimating the time it takes for a roller coaster to complete a loop based on its acceleration and velocity.