Is the Set of Cosine and Polynomial Functions Dense in C(S, ℝ)?

• Thread starter Oxymoron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the question is asking whether a specific subset of functions, \left\{\sum_{m,n=0}^M a_{m,n}\cos(mx)y^n\,:\,a_{m,n} \in \mathbb{R}\right\}, is dense in the space of continuous functions on a bounded region S. After discussing different approaches, it is concluded that the subset is not dense in general, but can be dense in certain cases such as when the subset contains all possible polynomials. The exact answer may be difficult to determine without further analysis.
Oxymoron
Question

Let [itex]S = \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2\,:\,x\in[0,\pi],\,y\in[0,1]\}[/itex]. Deduce whether or not,

[tex]\left\{\sum_{m,n=0}^M a_{m,n}\cos(mx)y^n\,:\,a_{m,n} \in \mathbb{R}\right\}[/tex]

a subset of [itex]C(S,\mathbb{R})[/itex] is dense.

I was thinking no. And this is not a guess.

My reasoning is as follows. S can be thought of as some 'surface' whose projection onto the real plane is bounded by the rectangle [itex][0,\pi] \times [0,1][/itex].

So, I was led to believe this is kind of like a Fourier analysis problem. Can I construct every possible surface, hence making it dense, using my subset. Well, obviously no, because, for example, I cannot approximate [itex]\sin[/itex] using just linear combinations of [itex]\cos[/itex].

However, let's just say that our subset was

[tex]\left\{\sum_{m=0}^M\sum_{n=0}^N\,a_{m,n}x^my^n\,:\,a_{m,n} \in \mathbb{R}\right\}[/tex]

Then I can approximate, by sums, every possible 'surface', or polynomial using the given subset. So I would say that this particular subset IS dense in [itex]C(S,\mathbb{R})[/itex].

Let's change it a little more. Consider the subset

[tex]\left\{\sum_{m=0}^M\sum_{n=0}^N\,a_{m,n}x^{5m}y^{2n}\,:\,a_{m,n} \in \mathbb{R}\right\}[/tex]

In this case, this subset is NOT dense in [itex]C(S,\mathbb{R})[/itex] because some terms are missing, i.e. 5 and 2 are coprime, so some combinations, i.e. [itex]x^4[/itex] can never be made. That is, this polynomial cannot approximate, by sums, every possible surface within the bounded region. Hence not dense.

I know this is pretty complicated. But if anyone has the guts I would appreciate some feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have more than just linear combinations of cos. You can linear combinations of cos(mx). cos(2x) = cos²x - sin²x. It's got a 'sin' in there. Of course, it isn't sin itself but can you be sure that no linear combination of cos(mx)'s with m varying will not give you something close to sin? Also, what is M?

For me, it seems like it might be tough to come up with a specific function in C(S,R) and show that none of the functions in your set approximate it. Maybe that's what you'll have to do. To show it's not dense, you want to show that:

There exists f in C(S,R) such that there is an e > 0 such that for all g in your set, there is some x in S such that |f(x) - g(x)| > e.

If you want to prove it dense:

For each f in C(S,R) and for each e > 0, there is a g in your set such that for all x in S, |f(x) - g(x)| < e.

Well how about this: I think I remember in my QM class saying that you could approximate any single-valued continuous function with the sum of a bunch of cos curves. And you can do any single-valued function with a polynomial. So maybe we should look for functions in C(S,R) that aren't of the form h(x)j(y). Try cos(xy). To be honest, though, I don't really know how to do this question.

What is denseness?

Denseness is a measure of how tightly packed the particles of a substance are. It is usually measured in units of mass per volume, such as grams per milliliter or kilograms per cubic meter.

What is the difference between denseness and density?

While denseness and density are often used interchangeably, they refer to slightly different concepts. Denseness is a measure of how tightly packed the particles of a substance are, while density is a measure of the mass of a substance per unit volume.

How do you calculate denseness?

Denseness can be calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. For example, if a substance has a mass of 100 grams and a volume of 20 milliliters, its denseness would be 5 grams per milliliter.

What factors affect the denseness of a substance?

The denseness of a substance can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the arrangement of particles within the substance. Changes in these factors can cause the denseness of a substance to increase or decrease.

Why is denseness an important concept in science?

Denseness is an important concept in science because it helps us understand the physical properties and behavior of substances. It is also used in many practical applications, such as determining the strength of materials and measuring the concentration of substances in a solution.