Majoring in a field that can't be outsourced

• Programs
  • Thread starter MathGangsta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the speaker is currently working as a skilled tradesman but is considering going back to school for a Science/Engineering degree. They are torn between pursuing their passion in Physics/EE or choosing a major that is more stable, such as Medical or Biochem. The speaker acknowledges the possibility of outsourcing, but ultimately advises to follow one's passion. They also suggest reading a forum discussion for more information.
MathGangsta
I currently work as a skilled tradesman. I enjoy the work and the stability of the job but I'm going back to school for some kind of Science/Engineering degree. I was sold on EE but I've been reading a lot about those jobs being outsourced. I can't really decide on to major in what I like (Physics/EE) or what is here to stay (Medical, Biochem). Any input? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything can be outsourced... This is a sad fact of life in what is becoming a global economy and job market.

I say go for your passion, because that is what will best serve you in the future.

What fields of study are considered "unoutsourcable"?

Fields such as healthcare, education, law, and government are typically considered unoutsourcable due to their local or national focus. Other fields that may be considered unoutsourcable include agriculture, construction, and creative industries.

How can majoring in an unoutsourcable field benefit me?

Majoring in an unoutsourcable field can provide job security and stability, as these fields are less likely to be affected by economic downturns or outsourcing trends. Additionally, these fields often have high demand for skilled workers, leading to potential for higher salaries and career advancement.

What skills should I develop if I want to major in an unoutsourcable field?

In addition to specific technical or knowledge-based skills, it is important to develop strong communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. These are essential for success in any field, but particularly in unoutsourcable fields where the ability to work with others and adapt to changing situations is crucial.

Are there any downsides to majoring in an unoutsourcable field?

Like any field of study, there may be challenges and limitations in pursuing a degree in an unoutsourcable field. For example, some fields may have limited job opportunities in certain geographic areas or may require additional education or certifications. It is important to research and understand the potential challenges and opportunities in your chosen field.

How can I stay competitive in an unoutsourcable field?

Continuing education and staying up-to-date with industry developments is key to staying competitive in any field, including unoutsourcable ones. Networking, gaining relevant experience through internships or part-time jobs, and actively seeking out opportunities for growth and advancement can also help you stand out in your field.