1D Quantum Well - I'm getting something very basic wrong

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem that was based on using the mass and energy equivalencies between electron volts (eV) and Joules (J). However, because they used the wrong units, their calculations resulted in a difference of almost 1.9 eV.
neural_jam
Ok, so this example question is in my lecture notes:

Homework Statement

"For a 1-D quantum well, 5nm width, 2eV barrier height, calculate the number of energy levels in the well."

Homework Equations

So the equation given is a familiar one:

[tex]E_n=\frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2 m L^2}[/tex]

and he also said [tex]E_n=2 \times 1.6 \times 10^{-19} J[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, in the lecture [tex]n^2[/tex] came out to be 134, but I keep getting ~1.9, so I'm using the wrong units somewhere or something, because otherwise it's a pretty simple 'plug and chug' exercise..!

also, I'm using
[tex]\hbar = 6.582 \times 10^{-16} eVs[/tex]
[tex]m = 0.511MeV[/tex]

Can anyone help? :-s

-Jam

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the units of mass are

[tex][m] = eV/c^2[/tex]

And therefore with the values that you are using it should be

[tex]E_n=\frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2 c^2}{2 m L^2}[/tex]

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, if I put in the factor of [tex]c^2[/tex], then [tex]n^2[/tex] becomes ~[tex]2.13^{-17}[/tex], even further off the 134 that it should be :-(

Make sure that you use the same units for everything. That is if you use electron volts as you said in your first post then E = 2 eV. If you use Joules for E then you have to use Js for h, kg for m (without c^2 this time) and so on.

I get 133, which seems pretty close... it's probably just a silly math mistake. If you write out the details of your calculations (and please be consistent with the units ;-), someone can probably pinpoint where it went wrong.

Ah, thankyou! Yes, it was a silly mistake, I forgot to change [tex]E=2 \times 1.6 \times 10^{-19}[/tex] to E = 2, yes it works out fine now.

Thank you both, I have an exam tomorrow where this will likely be part of a question or two, so I'm very grateful for the help!

1. What is a 1D quantum well?

A 1D quantum well is a type of nanostructure that is created by sandwiching a thin layer of a different material between two layers of the same material. This creates a potential energy barrier, which allows for the confinement of electrons in one dimension.

2. What is the purpose of a 1D quantum well?

The purpose of a 1D quantum well is to manipulate the behavior and properties of electrons in the confined dimension. This can have applications in electronic devices, such as transistors and lasers, as well as in quantum computing and information processing.

3. How is a 1D quantum well different from a 2D or 3D quantum well?

A 1D quantum well is different from a 2D or 3D quantum well in that it only confines electrons in one dimension, while the others confine electrons in two or three dimensions, respectively. This leads to different energy levels and behaviors of the electrons in each type of quantum well.

4. What is the basic concept behind a 1D quantum well?

The basic concept behind a 1D quantum well is that when a thin layer of a different material is sandwiched between two layers of the same material, it creates a potential energy barrier that can confine electrons in one dimension. This leads to quantized energy levels and unique properties of the electrons in the confined dimension.

5. What factors affect the behavior of electrons in a 1D quantum well?

The behavior of electrons in a 1D quantum well is affected by several factors, including the thickness and composition of the layers, the height of the potential energy barrier, and the temperature of the system. These factors can all impact the energy levels and probabilities of the electrons in the confined dimension.