Largest and smallest values of marginal cost

• Thread starter enchilosa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marginal
In summary: I did that and I got -3 and 20. I plugged those in back into the original equation (cost function) but the answers are incorrect.
enchilosa

Homework Statement

Suppose the total cost of producing x units of a certain commodity is

C(x)= (1/4*x^4) + (-37/3*x^3) + (280/2*x^2) + (1200x) + (100)

Determine the largest and the smallest values of the MARGINAL cost C'(x) for 0<x<18

The largest value of the marginal cost is _____.
The smallest value of the marginal cost is _____.

Hint. The function f(x) that you have to MIN/MAX is the derivative of cost, i.e. f(x)=C'(x)

Homework Equations

I found the derivative, which is
(x^3) - (37*x^2) + (280x) +(1200)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the derivative which is above and found the critical values which are x=3, x=-20, but the values must be between 0 and 18? I am not really understanding this question. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
is this an economics problem?

anyways to find the max or minimum (don't remember which one) set the derivative of the function equal to zero and then solve for the variable

sprint said:
is this an economics problem?

anyways to find the max or minimum (don't remember which one) set the derivative of the function equal to zero and then solve for the variable

yes, I did that and I got -3 and 20. I plugged those in back into the original equation (cost function) but the answers are incorrect.

enchilosa said:

Homework Statement

Suppose the total cost of producing x units of a certain commodity is

C(x)= (1/4*x^4) + (-37/3*x^3) + (280/2*x^2) + (1200x) + (100)

Determine the largest and the smallest values of the MARGINAL cost C'(x) for 0<x<18

The largest value of the marginal cost is _____.
The smallest value of the marginal cost is _____.

Hint. The function f(x) that you have to MIN/MAX is the derivative of cost, i.e. f(x)=C'(x)

Homework Equations

I found the derivative, which is
(x^3) - (37*x^2) + (280x) +(1200)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the derivative which is above and found the critical values which are x=3, x=-20, but the values must be between 0 and 18? I am not really understanding this question. please help!
Read that hint very, very carefully! In order to find max and min of MARGINAL cost, you want to find max and min of C', not C. Your derivative is f= C'= x^3- 37x^2+ 280x+ 1200 and you want to find the max and min of that so you must differentiate again and set that to 0!

1. What is a marginal cost?

A marginal cost is the additional cost incurred by a company in producing one extra unit of a product or service. It takes into account the cost of raw materials, labor, and other inputs.

2. How are the largest and smallest values of marginal cost determined?

The largest and smallest values of marginal cost are determined by analyzing the production function of a company, which shows the relationship between the inputs and outputs of a product. The point at which the marginal cost reaches its highest value is the largest value, and the point at which it reaches its lowest value is the smallest value.

3. Why is it important to know the largest and smallest values of marginal cost?

Knowing the largest and smallest values of marginal cost is important for businesses because it helps them make informed decisions about their production levels. If the marginal cost is too high, it may not be profitable to produce more units. On the other hand, if the marginal cost is too low, the company may benefit from increasing production.

4. How do the largest and smallest values of marginal cost affect pricing decisions?

The largest and smallest values of marginal cost directly impact pricing decisions. If the marginal cost is high, the company may need to set a higher price for its products to cover the production costs. However, if the marginal cost is low, the company may be able to offer lower prices to attract more customers.

5. Can the largest and smallest values of marginal cost change over time?

Yes, the largest and smallest values of marginal cost can change over time due to various factors such as changes in input prices, technology, and market demand. This is why it is important for companies to regularly analyze their production function and adjust their pricing and production levels accordingly.