Nothing much works not even norton

In summary, your computer has some serious problems and you cannot fix them. You should reformat your computer and install Windows.
z4955
I have uninstalled and reinstalled my norton anti viruse program and it refuses to work. the last time its not even showing up in my add/remove programs. I have some serious computer problems an no way to fix it

Computer science news on Phys.org
Reformat and install windows.

[edit] nm, I saw your follow up thread.

If its a good antivirus program you need then try out Avast Antivirus, its free and sometimes detects viruses on my comp that norton can't seem to detect..

offtopic said:
i posted this in a cpu usage topic, but it prooves similar reasoning for this also so if its familiar, that is why

get a program from codestuff, called starter - it displays everything that loads up with your computer, and take stuff off that isn't associated with the c://windows folder (unless you know what it is and use it) also just a sort of extra files named packager, back-to-web, download-to-home, ebatesmoemoneymaker0, and files similiarly named are usualy adware, that most programs checking for adware don't recognise

also get a registry mechanic - most good ones cost money, but often offer a trial - download.com is a good place - also i use a program called registry mechanic of which i have...fixed, which is a beautiful program that will solve any sort of virus and such sorts of problems

---personaly i distast antivirus programs, for the shear fact i have never found any use in them, since all viruses worth noting are initialised through the registry - due to startup (unless somehow it was done by like a super genious guy who can initialise with the BIOS, which is near impossible to do effectively without needed direct access to the computer) - also a major thing about viruses, is personal knowlage on what to and not to do online - i encourage browsers with popup blocking, such as firefox - also if you have XP and haven't turned off the messanger service, i encourage you to do so - and always there's the email stuff of don't open it unless you know whom its from, also I've been noticing a surplus in the, your hotmail|yahoo|so on so forth account will be deactivated if you don't confirm at a site or email| also you can get a virus by simply opening an email, even on html based email accounts, though its harder to get a trojen from them, due to impossibility to track you on most occasions

tsunamijoe... you mean you don't use any antivirus program? just the starter prog and registry mechanic you mentioned?

z4955 said:
I have uninstalled and reinstalled my norton anti viruse program and it refuses to work. the last time its not even showing up in my add/remove programs. I have some serious computer problems an no way to fix it

I had this trouble a few weeks ago. I called Symantec and they walked me through uninstalling it before reinstalling. I had to remove entries from the registry. After the process, I was able to get it running fine.

z4955 - that is correct, though note i only do it efficiently because i know the thorough ins and outs of my computer so that if i get something, i know the slowdown in my computer so i can immediately run a registry scan|and as i said before, which i need to stress, personal know-how is imperitive in not catching viruses, but i imagine my technique could also work for your average person(not calling you ave, just making example)| also just to note my computer has in it, a lot of viruses, but none of them are active because I have disabled there startup registry - then later deleted the registry, about every few months i will go through and delete them out, but just so long as a virus doesn't initialise itself with your computers startup, then they cannot do anything...unless started by the user somhow?

1. Why doesn't Norton antivirus work well?

There could be a variety of reasons why Norton antivirus may not work as effectively as expected. It could be due to compatibility issues with your operating system, conflicts with other software programs, or outdated virus definitions. It is important to regularly update Norton and troubleshoot any potential conflicts to ensure maximum performance.

2. Is Norton antivirus a reliable program?

Norton antivirus has been a reputable and trusted antivirus program for many years. However, like any software, it may have its flaws and limitations. It is important to regularly update the program and use caution when downloading files or visiting potentially harmful websites to maintain its reliability.

3. How can I improve the performance of Norton antivirus?

There are a few ways to improve the performance of Norton antivirus. First, make sure the program is regularly updated and running the latest virus definitions. You can also limit the number of other programs running in the background and perform regular scans to remove any potential threats.

4. Are there any alternatives to Norton antivirus?

Yes, there are many other antivirus programs available on the market. Some popular alternatives include McAfee, Kaspersky, and Avast. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your specific needs and preferences.

5. Can I trust Norton to protect my personal information?

Norton has various security features in place to protect your personal information, such as a firewall and anti-phishing protection. However, no antivirus program can guarantee 100% protection. It is important to also practice safe browsing habits and be cautious when sharing personal information online.