Find Min Distance b/w Origin & Surface z^2= [8-y^2-x^4*y^2]/2

In summary, the minimum distance between the origin and the surface z^2=[8-y^2-x^4*y^2]/2 is sqrt(5) and the procedure used to find it was correct. Another method, using the method of Lagrange multipliers, can also be used to find the minimum distance.
schattenjaeger
find the minimum distance between the origin and the surface z^2=[8-y^2-x^4*y^2]/2

so d=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(1/2) where for z^2 I sub in that expression in x and y?

so then I take the partials of d wrt to x and y and set those equal to 0, then I solved that system of equations and got x=+-1 and y=+-1 but I'm not sure about that. I also got x=0 and y=0 but I guess that's the max distance since it's the initial point? I dunno. I got the ultimate distance being sqrt(5) by plugging 1 back into the expression for d, you're welcome to practice on it too but I just need to know if the procedure was right

Physics news on Phys.org
schattenjaeger said:
find the minimum distance between the origin and the surface z^2=[8-y^2-x^4*y^2]/2

so d=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(1/2) where for z^2 I sub in that expression in x and y?

so then I take the partials of d wrt to x and y and set those equal to 0, then I solved that system of equations and got x=+-1 and y=+-1 but I'm not sure about that. I also got x=0 and y=0 but I guess that's the max distance since it's the initial point? I dunno. I got the ultimate distance being sqrt(5) by plugging 1 back into the expression for d, you're welcome to practice on it too but I just need to know if the procedure was right

Proceedure is correct, but it can be simplified since the point at which the minimum distance occurs is also where the square ofthe distance is minimized (so you can drop the square root on d and get the same location). Another method is to use the method of Lagrange multipliers: I'll use it to check your work.

We want to minimize [tex]d^2=x^2+y^2+z^2[/tex] subject to the constraint [tex]2z^2+y^2+x^4y^2=8[/tex]. According to the method of Lagrange multipliers we should solve this system of equations:

[tex]\left< 2x,2y,2z\right> = \lambda\left< 4x^3y^2,2y+2x^4y,4z \right>[/tex] and [tex]2z^2+y^2+x^4y^2=8[/tex]

this simplifies to

[tex]x=2\lambda x^3y^2[tex]
[tex]y=\lambda y(1+x^4)[tex]
[tex]z=2\lambda z[tex]
[tex]2z^2+y^2(1+x^4)=8[/tex]

according to the third equation, either [tex]z=0[/tex] or [tex]\lambda =\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. Assume presently that [tex]z=0[/tex], then the fourth equations becomes [tex]y^2(1+x^4)=8[/tex] so that multipling the second equation by y gives [tex]y^2=\lambda y^2(1+x^4) = 8\lambda[tex] and putting this into the first equation gives [tex]x=16\lambda ^2 x^3[tex]

finish later perhaps... (seems like the other method would be easier).

Last edited:
yah I noticed that, when you work it out you get

Fx=1/2(original expression to the -1/2)(another expression)=0

Fy=1/2(original to the -1/2)(another)=0

so you can just chuck the original expressions and solve the two "others" for x and y, which is where you end up if you start from d^2

I couldn't quite convince myself that the minimum of the distance would be the mininum of the d^2 function, I might just be thinking too hard

1. What is the significance of finding the minimum distance between the origin and the surface z^2 = [8-y^2-x^4*y^2]/2?

Finding the minimum distance between the origin and a given surface is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to determine the closest point on the surface to the origin and can provide valuable information for solving optimization problems.

2. How is the minimum distance calculated in this equation, z^2 = [8-y^2-x^4*y^2]/2?

To find the minimum distance, we need to take the partial derivatives of the given equation with respect to x and y, set them equal to 0, and solve for x and y. These values will give us the coordinates of the closest point on the surface to the origin. We can then use the distance formula to calculate the minimum distance between the origin and this point.

3. What are the applications of finding the minimum distance between the origin and a surface?

The applications of finding the minimum distance between the origin and a surface are vast. It can be used in engineering to determine the most efficient placement of objects, in physics to calculate the shortest distance for an object to travel, and in mathematics to solve optimization problems.

4. Is there a general method for finding the minimum distance between a point and a surface?

Yes, there is a general method for finding the minimum distance between a point and a surface. It involves taking the partial derivatives of the surface equation with respect to each variable, setting them equal to 0, and solving for the coordinates of the closest point. The distance formula can then be used to calculate the minimum distance.

5. Can the minimum distance between the origin and a surface be negative?

No, the minimum distance between the origin and a surface cannot be negative. Distance is always a positive value, and the minimum distance is the shortest distance between two points, which cannot be negative.