Distribution Function for 1/2X and (lambda)X

In summary, the question asks for the distribution function and type of distribution for a random variable X with an Exponential distribution, and the same for a random variable (1/2)X and (lambda)X. The distribution function for (1/2)X is P(X ≤ 2x) and the distribution function for (lambda)X is P(X ≤ x/lambda). The distribution type for both (1/2)X and (lambda)X is also Exponential.
JosephLee

Homework Statement

Let X have an Exp(1/2) distribution. Determine the distribution function of 1/2X. What kind of distribution does 1/2X have?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to do this quite properly. I thought of doing the integral from x to -inf of 1/2X dx but that doesn't seem right. I know what a exponential distribution is but nothing else from there.

Is it just something like X = exp(1/2) therefore 1/2X = exp(1/4) or something along those lines?

thanks for the help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does 1/2X mean (1/2)X or 1/(2X)? I guess I will assume the former. Parentheses do serve a purpose you know.

If Y = (1/2)X then P(Y ≤ x) = P((1/2)X ≤ x) = P(X ≤ 2x)

Does that help you?

im sorry, its (1/2)X.

Does this change anything?

also along those same lines, there's another part to the question which is exactly the same as above but its:

let X have a exp(lambda) distribution...determine the distribution function of (lambda)X and what kind of distribution does this have?

"Does this change anything?"

No, I assumed that.

"also along those same lines, there's another part to the question which is exactly the same as above but its:

let X have a exp(lambda) distribution...determine the distribution function of (lambda)X and what kind of distribution does this have?"

Did you understand my first reply. That should help.

What is a distribution function?

A distribution function, also known as a probability distribution function, is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a random variable taking on a certain value or falling within a particular range of values.

Why is it important to find the distribution function?

Finding the distribution function is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a random variable. It can also help us make predictions and make informed decisions in various fields such as statistics, finance, and engineering.

What are the different types of distribution functions?

There are several types of distribution functions, including normal distribution, binomial distribution, Poisson distribution, and exponential distribution. Each type is used to model different types of data and has its own set of characteristics and properties.

How do you find the distribution function?

The process of finding the distribution function depends on the type of distribution. For continuous distributions, the function can be derived using the cumulative distribution function. For discrete distributions, the function can be calculated by summing the probabilities of each possible outcome.

What is the relationship between the distribution function and the probability density function?

The distribution function and the probability density function are closely related. The distribution function is the integral of the probability density function, and it provides the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a certain value. In other words, the probability density function gives the rate of change of the distribution function.