Interested in engineering but choosing medecine

• Thread starter garet122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the individual is a high school student considering studying medicine but is also interested in electrical and aerospace engineering. They are wondering if it is possible to become as knowledgeable in these subjects on their own and are seeking book recommendations. The speaker responds that it is not feasible to become as knowledgeable as those who have studied these subjects at university, as they also gain hands-on experience and access to experts. They also mention that studying both engineering and medicine concurrently may be an option.
garet122
Hi guys,
I am a high school student and I think I will study in medicine. However, I am VERY interested in electrical and aerospace engineering. Is it possible that on my own , I deeply study those subjects in order to have a deep understanding. What I mean is that I want to be as knowledgeable as the real aerospace/electrical engineers. Is my goal feasible or no? Can you guys recommend me some good textbooks please.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not possible that by reading a few books you will be as knowledgeable as those who spent four years of thei live studying this at university.

To add, these students who study engineering get laboratory experience with expensive equipment, out of book information from experts of the field, etc.

If your goal is to have job opportunities in these fields, you're not going to be able to really "prove" you can compete with those who have a degree in it.

To study medicine, in the US at least, you could study one of the engineering majors while knocking out the premed requirements as an undergrad, then apply to medical school.

1. What is the difference between engineering and medicine?

Engineering is a field that involves the application of mathematics, science, and technology to design and build structures, machines, and systems. Medicine, on the other hand, is the science and practice of diagnosing, treating, and preventing diseases and injuries in humans. While engineering focuses on creating solutions to technical problems, medicine focuses on the health and well-being of individuals.

2. Can I pursue a career in both engineering and medicine?

While it is possible to have a career in both engineering and medicine, it is important to note that these fields require different skill sets and time commitments. It may be challenging to balance both, but some individuals have successfully pursued dual careers in engineering and medicine.

3. What skills do I need to have to be successful in engineering and medicine?

In engineering, strong problem-solving skills, creativity, and attention to detail are crucial. In medicine, empathy, communication, and critical thinking skills are essential. Both fields also require a strong understanding of math and science.

4. How can engineering skills be useful in the medical field?

Engineers and physicians often work together to develop and improve medical devices and equipment, such as prosthetics, imaging technology, and surgical tools. Engineering principles, such as design and problem-solving, can also be applied to medical research and healthcare systems.

5. Which field should I choose if I am interested in both engineering and medicine?

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your interests, strengths, and career goals. It is important to research and gain hands-on experience in both fields to make an informed decision. Some universities also offer programs that combine engineering and medicine, such as biomedical engineering, which may be a good option for those interested in both fields.