Mechanics book(s) to prepare for university / Mechanics at university

In summary: I have no clue how to derive this formula from $$ ma = Gm_{1}m_{2}r^{-2}$$ That is still classical mechanics, isn't it.Thanks for your responses!
Hello!

I am going to start physics at university in autumn and I want to prepare for the university start. Up to now I've been reading the Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol 1. and 07.01 on OCW by the MIT.

In my opinion I am ambitious and therefore I want to use the best books and learning materials.

Which mechanics book(s) can you recommend me for preparing until autumn? Up to now I only know the mechanics part of the Feynman Lectures regarding mechanics. I don't have any other prior knowledge except the european equivalent of "academic high school". By the way I am also willing to use advanced books if they are the best in my situation.

P.S.: I am not an native English speaker. It would be very, very cool if you took the time and pointed out my mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking at the table of contents here. Which of the chapters 1-14 and 18-21 have you studied (or at least, know very well)?

I have studied all of them. Chapters 18-21 were especially interesting - most of all the prove why you can treat torque as an "artificial vector"

Then I suppose it is time to learn some E&M. There are many undergrad books, the standard ones are Griffiths and Purcell. Feynman's volume 2 is available online, you could look at that.

Perhaps you would like a readable book, not necessarily for doing problems? This one looks nice, it's more advanced so you won't be able to do the problems (without Boas for example) but I always think it helps to look ahead, if only to see things in a more holistic way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486639479/?tag=pfamazon01-20

However, if you don't yet know much about vector calculus, perhaps stick to the easier books for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend to read:
At my time, it was considered to be a number one book. It's still used in Russia in some Universities. (And it is a loved book in India and China)
- Fundamental Laws of Mechanics by Igor Irodov

Additionally, a recommendable book is this one, a lot of institutes use this book to compare their exams difficulty to (if it's as difficult as this book, then it's too hard):
- Problems in General Physics by Igor Irodov

The book is a collection of Problems from various subjects of Physics. It really tests if you understand a subject or not, and is excellent for preparation or exams. (Although this book is only good for your first year of University)
But beware, the problems are Not "plug-n-chug" type problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses!

1. @verty: "Then I suppose it is time to learn some E&M."
Question1-Do you think that I've already learned enough mechanics?
Question2-Aren't there more things to be learned than in the Feynman Lectures?

For example I've been wondering about the following problem:
You have two spheres with a diameter of 0.1 metres of equal mass (they are the only masses to be regarded in this problem). The distance between the centres of gravity shall be 1 m. They are starting at rest. How long will it take until they meet in the middle.
How can I solve the problem analytically? I've found a formula on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_fall#Inverse-square_law_gravitational_field . I have no clue how to derive this formula from $$ ma = Gm_{1}m_{2}r^{-2}$$

That is still classical mechanics, isn't it.
Question3: Which books can you recommend me so that after studying them I will be able to solve such problems?
Question4: Is it better to study classical mechanics in depth or should begin to study E&M?

====================================

Question5: Do you think that Irodov is better than Kleppner/Kolenkow?
Question6: What do you think about Kleppner/Kolenkow? I read a bit about that book in this forum..

Question7: What is actually left in classical mechanics after Kleppner/Kolenkow respective Irodov? I mean titel is "An Introduction to classical mechanics.

It would be nice to get some helpful answers.

I sometimes work as a private tutor for UG-level Maths, Physics (first two years only), Programming (any request) and my book recommendations are based on the books that I teach from. I'm not sure that Kleppner/Kolenkow is a good book, I've not seen it in any University recommended reading list. It might be a good book regardless.

3102 said:
Thanks for your responses!

1. @verty: "Then I suppose it is time to learn some E&M."
Question1-Do you think that I've already learned enough mechanics?
Question2-Aren't there more things to be learned than in the Feynman Lectures?

For example I've been wondering about the following problem:
You have two spheres with a diameter of 0.1 metres of equal mass (they are the only masses to be regarded in this problem). The distance between the centres of gravity shall be 1 m. They are starting at rest. How long will it take until they meet in the middle.
How can I solve the problem analytically? I've found a formula on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_fall#Inverse-square_law_gravitational_field . I have no clue how to derive this formula from $$ ma = Gm_{1}m_{2}r^{-2}$$

That is still classical mechanics, isn't it.
Question3: Which books can you recommend me so that after studying them I will be able to solve such problems?
Question4: Is it better to study classical mechanics in depth or should begin to study E&M?

====================================

Question5: Do you think that Irodov is better than Kleppner/Kolenkow?
Question6: What do you think about Kleppner/Kolenkow? I read a bit about that book in this forum..

Question7: What is actually left in classical mechanics after Kleppner/Kolenkow respective Irodov? I mean titel is "An Introduction to classical mechanics.

It would be nice to get some helpful answers.

1) If you're still interested to know more, then I suppose not.

2) K&K covers some of this in chapter 4. That chapter is pretty good actually. It covers the general problem in one dimension but in multiple dimensions it restricts itself to those cases where the path of the particle is known.

3) K&K does cover the one-dimensional case. E&M books should cover some of it as well because force fields are prevalent there. But I suspect the unknown-path case is what the variational methods are used for.

4) Irodov's book is available to you, it may satisfy you for now. K&K is a good choice if you don't want to learn E&M right away because it uses similar math to E&M.

5) I didn't see double integrals used in Irodov. It looks to be at a lower level mathematically but not conceptually, the topics are very similar.

Last edited:
TheAustrian said:
I sometimes work as a private tutor for UG-level Maths, Physics (first two years only), Programming (any request) and my book recommendations are based on the books that I teach from. I'm not sure that Kleppner/Kolenkow is a good book, I've not seen it in any University recommended reading list. It might be a good book regardless.

It explains things in the most direct and useful way, using the best math to do it. This makes in very nice but also difficult.

Hmm, with regard to that sphere problem, I want to give a hint about how to head in the right direction for solving it. My hint is: try to use kinetic energy somehow. But that's all I'm saying.

What topics are covered in a mechanics book to prepare for university?

A mechanics book to prepare for university typically covers fundamental concepts such as kinematics, forces, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, momentum, and rotational motion. It may also include topics like oscillations, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics.

What level of mathematics is required for understanding mechanics at university?

A strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus is necessary for understanding mechanics at university. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of vector operations and basic geometry.

How can I best prepare for mechanics at university?

Apart from studying a mechanics book, it is recommended to practice solving problems and applying concepts to real-world scenarios. Familiarizing oneself with mathematical techniques, such as vector operations and calculus, will also be beneficial.

Are there any online resources or tools to supplement learning from a mechanics book?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as interactive simulations, video lectures, and practice problems. Some universities also offer online courses or open educational resources for mechanics.

Do mechanics books for university typically include practical applications or experiments?

It depends on the specific book, but many mechanics books do include practical applications or experiments to help students understand the real-world relevance of the concepts they are learning. Some books may also have a separate section on laboratory experiments for hands-on learning.