Rearranging Equations for Solving for Velocity

• Thread starter gareth01422
  • Start date
In summary, Gareth is checking if he has correctly combined and rearranged two equations to solve for 'v'. He asks for confirmation and Dick assures him that it is correct. Gareth thanks Dick and mentions his initial uncertainty about the equation. In a separate conversation, Gareth has calculated an equation for finding the speed at which a diver enters a pool, but is unsure how to test it. He provides additional information such as the diver's height and gravity, and asks for help in testing the equation.
gareth01422
Hi guys

I just wanted to check if i have done this correctlly

I am trying to combine and rearrange the 2 equations to make v the subject.

Please see the attached image.

Have i got this correct?

Gareth

Attachments

• Equation rearranging.JPG
    Equation rearranging.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 324
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. It's just fine.

Brilliant

Thanks Dick

I wasnt too sure about the 2x on the right hand side then finding the square root of the total. but if its ok I am pleased with that.

Gareth

Hi guys

I have calculated the following equation but i need to find a way of testing it.

the info i was given is a diver at 3.7 m height and I need to find the speed at which they enter the water of the pool. Gravity = 9.8 m s-2.

How do i go about testing the equation to see if i have the right answer?

Gareth

Attachments

• Equation rearranging 2.JPG
    Equation rearranging 2.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 341

1. How do I rearrange an equation?

Rearranging an equation involves isolating the desired variable on one side of the equal sign. This can be done by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation, such as adding or subtracting, dividing or multiplying by a constant, or taking the square root. The goal is to get the variable by itself on one side of the equation.

2. Why is it important to rearrange equations?

Rearranging equations allows us to solve for a specific variable and better understand the relationship between different variables in a mathematical equation. It also allows us to manipulate the equation to find different solutions and make predictions based on different values for the variables.

3. What are the basic rules for rearranging equations?

The basic rules for rearranging equations include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the inverse operations. These rules allow us to manipulate equations while maintaining the equality between both sides.

4. Can you rearrange any type of equation?

Yes, any type of equation can be rearranged as long as it follows the basic rules and principles of algebra. However, some equations may be more complex and require more steps to be rearranged.

5. How do I check if my rearranged equation is correct?

To check if your rearranged equation is correct, you can substitute the values of the variables into both the original and rearranged equations and see if they give the same result. You can also use an online calculator or ask a peer or teacher to double check your work.