Preparing for Electrical and Computer Engineering: Exam Reflections

In summary, your friend has a poor test-taking approach that wastes a lot of time. He should practice more and approach each question methodically.
exequor
I've taken the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Exam in Math, Physics, etc. For physics the topics for unit two were: electricity and magnetism, electronics, and modern physics. The thing is I know the topics well but I just can't finish the exam (I don't think anyone did) but the thing is I want to study electrical and computer engineering and I'm wondering if I'm too slow to make it in the field. what do you think about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you are not too slow. You need to keep practicing new problems (more difficult) to be sure you understand the concepts.

After every physics exam we take, the instructor always does it all on the board for us to see the next class. We have 2 hours to do them, and it takes him 20 minutes. Is it because he is super fast? No, he just approaches each problem methodically, so he only needs to try it once to get the right answer.

I have a friend who is like molasses in an igloo during tests. Why? Not because he thinks slow or anything. It's just that he has a horrible approach to tests. For example, in multiple choice questions, instead of deducing which answers were wrong simply because they are bogus, he checks ALL of them to make sure. That can be up to 4x as much work. And it eats up time FAST.

Practice the problems, and approach each problem methodically. By that, I mean, don't jump straight into short-cuts, go through it the long way. If you do it right the first time, it will save you a lot of time in the long run.

PL

When I do questions I write down everything, because you are asked to show all working. I mention every detail such as what method, relationship, etc. I'm using, I can not write many things and just rearrange a formula in my head and just go straight to the answer. I guess practice is the key here, I'll definitely bear that in mind for the future.

A lot of exams are un-finishable for mere mortals. If everyone else is struggling to finish too, don't worry about it at all, just prioritise which questions you answer first!

A good thing you could do is when you stumble across a question which might take you slightly more time than others, put a mark next to it and skip it. Once you are done with the last question, just go back to the marked ones if you have time. I always do this even when I am farely certain that I will have enough time because it can't hurt you.

Oo oo, and if you get told how many marks each question is worth, then that can be a pretty good indicator of how long (on average) you should spend on each question!

1. How do I prepare for an Electrical and Computer Engineering exam?

To prepare for an Electrical and Computer Engineering exam, it is important to review all of the material covered in class and in your notes. Make sure to understand key concepts and solve practice problems to reinforce your understanding. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to discuss and review material together.

2. What are some effective study techniques for Electrical and Computer Engineering exams?

Some effective study techniques for Electrical and Computer Engineering exams include creating study guides or flashcards, practicing with past exams or practice problems, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also important to give yourself breaks and to get enough rest before the exam.

3. How can I manage my time effectively while preparing for an Electrical and Computer Engineering exam?

To manage your time effectively while preparing for an Electrical and Computer Engineering exam, it can be helpful to create a study schedule and stick to it. Prioritize your study sessions and make sure to give yourself enough time to review all of the material. It can also be useful to break up your study sessions into smaller chunks and take breaks in between.

4. What topics should I focus on while studying for an Electrical and Computer Engineering exam?

While studying for an Electrical and Computer Engineering exam, it is important to focus on the material that you struggle with the most. This could include difficult concepts or topics that you are not as familiar with. It is also important to review all of the material covered in class to ensure a well-rounded understanding of the subject.

5. How can I reduce test anxiety while preparing for an Electrical and Computer Engineering exam?

To reduce test anxiety while preparing for an Electrical and Computer Engineering exam, it can be helpful to practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or visualization. It is also important to stay organized and keep a positive mindset. Remember to trust in your preparation and do not compare yourself to others.