Integration of Rational Functions by Partial Fractions

In summary, the conversation covers the integration of 10/(x-1)(x^2+9) using partial fractions. The steps involved include factoring the denominator, setting up equations for the unknown constants, and using the formula (1/a)tan-1(x/a) for the integration. The conversation also includes some clarification on the use of negative signs and the correct values for the constants.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

∫ 10/(x-1)(x^2+9)

would i change this into 10/ (x-1) (x+3) (x+3)

then= A/ x-1 + B/ X+3 + C/ x+3

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a sum of squares. (x^2 + 9) =/= (x+3)(x+3) = x^2 +6x + 9.

woops.

do i just leave it like that x^2+9

this one is strange

How about this 3x (1/3x+3)

yea or nah

if you have a second power the partial fraction you use is Bx+C/D

for ex.

a/(Ax+B)(Cx^2+D)

if (Cx^2+D) cannot be factored then your partial fraction would be

a/(Ax+B)(Cx^2+D) = E/(Ax+B) + Fx+G/(Cx^2+D)where, a,A,B,C,D,E,F,G are all constants

afcwestwarrior said:
How about this 3x (1/3x+3)

yea or nah

how does 3x(1/3x +3) = (x^2+9)?

it = (x^2 + 9x)

Oright I'll use your technique. Thanks man.

So it would be A/x-1 + Bx+C/ x^2+9

correct

ok here's what i did 10= A(x^2+9) + (Bx+C) (x-1)

10= Ax^2 + 9A + Bx^2- Bx + Cx -C
10= (A+B) x^2 + (9A-C) -(B+C)x
ok so A+B=0, 9A-C = 10, B+C =0

is that correct

be careful

10= Ax^2 + 9A + Bx^2- Bx + Cx -Cyou have

10= (A+B) x^2 + (9A-C) -(B+C)x = (A+B) x^2 + (9A-C) -Bx-Cx = remember that negative is distributive.

Ok this is where I need help. Bx+Cx,

ok i have to go to sleep now lol, hopefully PF won't kill me for telling its easy enough..:(

Just make it (C-B)x

then solve

ur equations are right A+B=0, 9A-C = 10, B+C =0 but the last one should be changed i think you now..

oh ok, so would it be (B-C)x

Thanks a lot man.

oh shoot another thing, by the looks of it not that I am to judge but u I THINK you may need help later in the actual integration so i will give u the formula, you will need EVENTUALLY need to integrate

A/x^2+B^2
=
(1/a)tan-1(x/a)

just do the integration and you will see one place u will be like how do i integrate

-1/x^2+9
then use the above formula

ok going now, hopefully someone else will help if u get stuck integrating

I was wondering how the answer in the back of the book had that. Thanks.

so A=1, C=-1, and B=1

ok I'm stuck now. I know it would be ∫1/ (x-1) + ?/ x^2+9

is this correct ∫1/ (x-1) + ∫ x-1/ x^2+9 = ∫1/ (x-1) +∫ x/x^2+9 - ∫1/ x^2 +9

No, it's (C- B) x. Salman213 already told you that.

1. What is the purpose of integrating rational functions by partial fractions?

Integrating rational functions by partial fractions is a method used to simplify and solve complex integrals involving rational expressions. It allows us to break down a rational function into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate and find the antiderivative.

2. How do you determine the decomposition of a rational function into partial fractions?

In order to determine the decomposition of a rational function into partial fractions, we need to factor the denominator into linear or irreducible quadratic factors. Then, we set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown coefficients using algebraic manipulation.

3. Can all rational functions be integrated using partial fractions?

No, not all rational functions can be integrated using partial fractions. The method only works for proper rational functions, which are functions where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

4. Is there a specific order or steps to follow when integrating rational functions by partial fractions?

Yes, there are specific steps to follow when integrating rational functions by partial fractions. First, factor the denominator into linear or irreducible quadratic factors. Then, set up and solve a system of equations for the unknown coefficients. Finally, integrate each term separately and combine the results.

5. What are some applications of integrating rational functions by partial fractions?

The integration of rational functions by partial fractions has many applications in mathematics and science, including in engineering, physics, and economics. It is often used to solve complex integrals in these fields, making it an important tool for problem solving and analysis.