Is there a function in MATLAB for executing code with a tolerance value?

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to write a conditional in MATLAB using a target value and tolerance. One option is to use absolute value to reduce the conditions to one, while another is to use the "find" function to search for values within the given range. However, there is no specific function in MATLAB for this task.
Saladsamurai
OK! I am not sure how to word this, but here goes:

Let's say I want to write a conditional like:

Code:
for i = 1:100
if myVar(i) == 4
do some stuff
break
end

The problem is...myVar might not ever equal exactly 4. It might be that myVar == 4.001 and that is fine; I would like it to execute the code.

Now, I know that I could give it a range like:

Code:
for i = 1:100
if myVar(i) < 4.002 && myVar(i) > 3.998
do some stuff
break
end

But is there a better way? Is there a function in MATLAB that takes my target value of 4 and my tolerance of .002 as its arguments? Or any other better ways?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with the way you are doing it. If you want to reduce your two conditions to one condition, you can use absolute value like this:

Code:
target = 4; % whatever target you want
tol = 0.002; % whatever tolerance you want

if abs(myVar(i)-target) <= tol

or if you'd like to get rid of the loop and myVar is an array of values, you can do something like this:

Code:
index = find(abs(myVar-target) <= tol,1)

so that index would return the index of the first value in the myVar array to meet your criteria - but that may have nothing to do with what you are trying to do.

Other than that, I'm not aware of a function that does what you are asking - but if it exists, its code probably looks a lot like what you've written. Hope that helped a little.

Related to Is there a function in MATLAB for executing code with a tolerance value?

What is MATLAB tolerance?

MATLAB tolerance refers to the acceptable level of error or deviation from the exact solution in numerical computations. It is used to determine the accuracy and precision of calculations performed using MATLAB.

How is tolerance calculated in MATLAB?

MATLAB uses the concept of machine epsilon to calculate tolerance. Machine epsilon is the smallest number that, when added to 1, gives a number different from 1. This value is dependent on the data type being used in MATLAB.

How can I change the tolerance in MATLAB?

MATLAB allows users to change the tolerance level by adjusting the "eps" function, which determines the value of machine epsilon. By default, the tolerance level in MATLAB is set to the minimum possible value for the data type being used.

Why is tolerance important in MATLAB?

Tolerance is important in MATLAB because it affects the accuracy and precision of numerical computations. It ensures that the results obtained are within an acceptable range of error and avoids the propagation of errors in subsequent calculations.

Can tolerance be too small in MATLAB?

Yes, tolerance can be too small in MATLAB. A very small tolerance level can result in excessive rounding errors, leading to inaccurate results. It can also significantly increase the computational time for complex calculations. Therefore, it is important to balance the tolerance level to achieve both accuracy and efficiency in MATLAB.