What Is the Frequency of Oscillation in a Series RLC Circuit?

In summary, the problem involves finding the frequency of oscillation and the value of current at resonance in a circuit with a resistance of 100 ohm, a capacitor of 0.1 microF, and an inductance of 10 mH. The formula for frequency of oscillation is f= 1 / 2*pi*sqrt(LC), but the value of current cannot be found without knowing the voltage in the circuit.
abrowaqas

Homework Statement

A resistance of 100 ohm is connected in series with capacitor 0.1 microF and an inductance 10 mH. find the frequency of oscillation and value of current at resonance?

Homework Equations

f= 1 / 2*pi*sqrt(LC)

The Attempt at a Solution

i think the formula i use for frequency of oscillation is correct. but how do i find the value of current at resonance. will it be I= V/R. because it resonance Xl=Xc so they cancel each other so the circuit will be purely resistance. kindly suggest.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in your thinking, however the problem as you stated it doesn't say what V is, so you cannot find the current.

1. What is frequency of oscillation?

The frequency of oscillation is the number of complete cycles or vibrations per unit of time. It is a measure of how often a system or object repeats its motion.

2. How is frequency of oscillation calculated?

The frequency of oscillation can be calculated by dividing the number of cycles or vibrations by the time it takes to complete those cycles. It is commonly measured in hertz (Hz).

3. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation?

The frequency of oscillation is affected by the mass, stiffness, and damping of the system or object. It is also influenced by external forces and any changes to the physical properties of the system.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation is the time it takes for one complete cycle or vibration. The frequency and period of oscillation are inversely related, meaning that as frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life examples of frequency of oscillation?

Examples of frequency of oscillation can be found in many natural and man-made systems. Some common examples include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a tuning fork vibrating, and sound waves traveling through air.