Is it possible to solve a system of three equations with two unknowns?

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if there is a solution to a system of simultaneous equations. It is mentioned that with two equations and two unknowns, there is always a solution, but with three equations and two unknowns, there may not always be a solution. The method of solving for two equations and seeing if it works for the third is mentioned, as well as using Reduced Row Echelon form. It is also mentioned that introducing a fourth variable may make it possible to solve a simultaneous equation where there is a solution to the three equations.
nobahar
Hello!
How do I determine if there is a solution to the following simultaneous equation?:

2a+3b=7
5a+7b=19
9a+5b=32

I have given a specific example but I was interested in the general case. I am confused because I have seen examples with two equations and two unkowns where it has been argued that, if, for example, I have:

2a+4b=x1
5a+6b=x2
Then:
[tex]a=\frac{1}{2}(x_{2}-\frac{3}{2}x_{1})[/tex]
[tex]b=\frac{1}{4}({\frac{5}{2}x_{1}-x_{2})[/tex]

and I can plug in any x1 and any x2 and get an answer, as there is no division by zero, etc, and so there is no reason why I can't get an output for a and c.
I can represent my original three equations in a similar format; presenting a as a combination of the outputs and b as a combination of the outputs. But when I put them into the original equation it doesn't work!

Has this something to do with an assumption being made? That with two equations and two unknowns, I can always find a solution for any x1 and x2 (provided that they're not parallel), but for three equations and two unknowns, there is not always going to be a solution? If this is the case, how do I ascertain that there is not a solution (without graphing the functions)?

As always, any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The simultaneous equations you gave here have conflicting values of a and b. Solving the first two equations, we can have a=8 and b=-3. On the other hand putting a=8 on 3rd equation doesn't satisfy b=-3.

Since the equations are of first order, there will be single discreet solution for a and b. The third equation is conflicting with this.

If there are three equations in two unknowns there are basically two possibilities - either they are inconsistent, or one is redundant. Solve any two equations and put results into third - if it is satsified, equation was redundant, if not - it was inconsistent.

Graphically, a single equation in two unknowns can be represented as a line in the plane. Two such equations, of course, represent two lines and, except in the unusual case that the lines are parallel, have a single point of intersection, giving a single solution to the two equations.

Three equations in two unknowns represent three lines in the plane and now the "standard" situation is that two of the lines intersect in a single point while the third line intersects those two lines at point different from the original point- there is no point in common to the three lines and so no x, y that satisfy all three equations.

Thanks Debsuvra, Halls and Borek.

debsuvra said:
The simultaneous equations you gave here have conflicting values of a and b. Solving the first two equations, we can have a=8 and b=-3. On the other hand putting a=8 on 3rd equation doesn't satisfy b=-3.

Since the equations are of first order, there will be single discreet solution for a and b. The third equation is conflicting with this.

HallsofIvy said:
Graphically, a single equation in two unknowns can be represented as a line in the plane. Two such equations, of course, represent two lines and, except in the unusual case that the lines are parallel, have a single point of intersection, giving a single solution to the two equations.

Three equations in two unknowns represent three lines in the plane and now the "standard" situation is that two of the lines intersect in a single point while the third line intersects those two lines at point different from the original point- there is no point in common to the three lines and so no x, y that satisfy all three equations.

Using these two pieces of information, it is possible that I can compute the unknowns using equations 1) and 2); 1) and 3); and 2) and 3) and arrive at appropriate values that satisfy two of the three equations, depending on which two of the three equations I use, but will not necessarily work for all three.

Borek said:
If there are three equations in two unknowns there are basically two possibilities - either they are inconsistent, or one is redundant. Solve any two equations and put results into third - if it is satsified, equation was redundant, if not - it was inconsistent.

Is this the only method of determining whether there is an answer. Solve for two and see if it works for the third? If I get a gobbeldygook answer such as 8=12, then there is no solution for all three? I found some information on Reduced Row Echelon Form, is this valid here?

Many thanks for the responses.

Yes, you can use "Row Echelon form". If one of the equations is a linear combination of the other two, your last row will be all "0"s and the solution is given by the first two rows. If not you will get something like "0 0 1" in the last row which corresponds to "0x+ 0y= 1" and is impossible.

Thanks again.

This gets a little more confusing when introducing a fourth variable. I shall not attempt an explanation as they end up being long and often do not elicit a response! My question is, if I have three variables in three equations, therefore three planes, and which do not all intersect at a single point or line, if I then introduce a fouth variable, does it make it possible to solve a simultaneous equation where there is a solution to the three equations? It's impossible to imagine and I do not know where to begin to prove it algebraicly.
Any responses would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

What is the concept of "Three equations, two unknowns"?

The concept of "Three equations, two unknowns" is a mathematical problem where there are three equations and two variables or unknowns. The goal is to solve for the values of the unknowns by using the three given equations.

How do you solve a "Three equations, two unknowns" problem?

To solve a "Three equations, two unknowns" problem, you must use a method called simultaneous equations. This involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one of the variables and then solving for the remaining variable. This process is repeated until all variables have been solved for.

What is the importance of "Three equations, two unknowns" in science?

"Three equations, two unknowns" is important in science because it allows scientists to solve for multiple variables at once. This is especially useful in situations where there are multiple factors that affect an outcome, such as in physics or chemistry experiments. It also helps to check the accuracy of data and equations by providing multiple equations to solve for the unknowns.

Can "Three equations, two unknowns" have more than two unknowns?

No, "Three equations, two unknowns" can only have two unknowns. This is because the number of unknowns must be equal to or less than the number of equations in order for the problem to have a unique solution. If there are more than two unknowns, there will be an infinite number of solutions.

What are some real-life applications of "Three equations, two unknowns"?

"Three equations, two unknowns" has various real-life applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. For example, it can be used to solve for the forces acting on a structure, calculate the optimal production levels for a company, or determine the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion.