Calculate Force to Lift Weight in Multi-Scissor Lifts

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the amount of force required to lift a weight using a scissor lift. The equation involves the weight of the payload, the scissor arms, and the angle of the scissor. It is mentioned that the higher the scissor lift is raised, the less force is required. The question is then raised about a multi-scissor lift and whether the amount of force required would be halved or doubled. The answer is that for each level added to the scissor lift, the amount of force required is multiplied. An experiment is described where a 2-tier scissor lift is tested and it is concluded that each tier added increases the amount of force required.
Timma300
Hello, I am building a scissor lift for a design project. I located a formula for calculating the amount of force required to lift a weight as given:

F=(W+(Wa/2))/(tan(theta))

Where F is the amount of force required, W is the weight of the payload and the load platform, Wa is the weight of the scissor arms, and theta is the angle that the scissor makes with the horizontal. I found the equation here, on this webpage: http://www.engineersedge.com/mechanics_machines/scissor-lift.htm. I understand that the higher the scissor lift is raised, the less force that is required to raise it. My question is about a multi-scissor lift. The site describes the equation for a multi-scissor lift as the exact same equation, except you multiply F by the number of stacked scissor mechanisms. Does this mean that a double scissor lift will require half as much force or twice as much force to raise?

Engineering news on Phys.org
For those of you that are wondering like I was, I ran an experiment to figure this out. I created a small 2-tier scissor lift that resembled a small double set of hedge trimmers. I braced the bottom of the scissors against a board clamped to the table and the other against a board of a decent amount of weight. I pushed the two scissors together and made a note of the force required, and then removed the second tier and repeated the experiment with one scissor. With the one tier scissor, I repeated the experiment and it took half as much force as the first test, it was much easier to push. The result of the second test proved that for each level you add to the scissor, you are multiplying the amount of force it takes to lift. This means that if you make a double scissor lift, it would take twice as much, a triple lift would take three times as much and so on. Hope this helps anyone else out there who was also confused.

Thanks Timma, helped me in my calculations. Was contemplating using two tiered scissors but decided against it.

What is a multi-scissor lift?

A multi-scissor lift is a type of lifting mechanism that uses multiple scissor-like arms to raise and lower heavy objects to different heights.

What is the formula for calculating force to lift weight in multi-scissor lifts?

The formula for calculating the force to lift weight in multi-scissor lifts is: Force = Weight / Number of scissor arms.

How does the number of scissor arms affect the force needed to lift weight in multi-scissor lifts?

The more scissor arms there are, the less force is needed to lift a certain weight. This is because the weight is evenly distributed among the arms, reducing the force required for each arm.

What other factors can affect the force needed to lift weight in multi-scissor lifts?

Other factors that can affect the force needed to lift weight in multi-scissor lifts include the length and thickness of the scissor arms, the angle at which they are positioned, and the weight of the lift itself.

Can the force to lift weight in multi-scissor lifts be calculated for different angles and weights?

Yes, the force can be calculated for different angles and weights by using the same formula and plugging in the new values. However, it is important to note that the force required may vary depending on the specific design and mechanics of the multi-scissor lift.