Infinite dimensional counterexample

In summary, the conversation discusses the direct sum of a subspace and its orthogonal complement in a finite dimensional vector space. It is questioned whether this result still holds in the case of an infinite dimensional vector space, and a counterexample is given in the form of the space l^2(N). The speaker also provides a simpler example in the case of continuous functions on [0,1] to demonstrate the failure of the properties in this context.
Carl140

Homework Statement

Let V be a finite dimensional vector space and let W be a subspace of V.
1. Then V is the direct sum of W and W' where W' denotes the orthogonal complement of W.
2. Also, (W')' = W, i.e the orthogonal complement of the orthgonal complement of W is
again W.

My question is, what happens if we drop the condition that V is finite dimensional, would
the results would be still valid? what happens with condition 1 and 2??

Physics news on Phys.org
Part of the problem here is that "orthogonality" depends on the specific inner product and there is no "natural" inner product on infinite dimensional vector spaces. Are you assuming a specific inner product and, if so, what?

Sorry, I accidentally clicked on report.

I read somewhere in the web that l^2(N) is such counterexample where l^2(N) is the set of all sequences of real numbers (x_1, x_2,...) such that
sum( x_i^2 , i=1 to infinity) < infinity.

But I don't know which subspace of l^2(N) should I consider to find where the properties fail.

I'll give you a simpler example. Let V be the space of all continuous functions on [0,1]. Define the inner product <f,g> to be the integral of f*g over [0,1]. Let W be the subspace of all functions such that f(0)=0. The only element of W' is f=0. V obviously isn't equal to the direct sum of W and W'. They don't even span V.

In the case of I^2(N), take W to be the subspace of all sequences with only a finite number of elements nonzero. Both of these examples have a common elements. You have a proper subspace W that is dense in V.

What is an infinite dimensional counterexample?

An infinite dimensional counterexample is a mathematical object or scenario that disproves a previously believed theory or statement about infinite dimensional spaces. It shows that the theory or statement does not hold true for all infinite dimensional spaces.

Why are infinite dimensional counterexamples important in mathematics?

Infinite dimensional counterexamples are important because they help mathematicians understand and refine their theories and statements about infinite dimensional spaces. They also provide insights into the nature of infinite dimensional spaces and can lead to the development of new theories and concepts.

How are infinite dimensional counterexamples constructed?

Infinite dimensional counterexamples are usually constructed using a combination of existing mathematical concepts and techniques, along with creative thinking and problem-solving skills. They may also require a deep understanding of the properties and behaviors of infinite dimensional spaces.

Can an infinite dimensional counterexample be proven to be true?

No, an infinite dimensional counterexample cannot be proven to be true. It can only be proven to be a valid counterexample to a specific theory or statement. However, it can provide strong evidence against the validity of the theory or statement.

What can we learn from studying infinite dimensional counterexamples?

Studying infinite dimensional counterexamples can help us gain a deeper understanding of the limitations and complexities of infinite dimensional spaces. It can also lead to the discovery of new mathematical concepts and theories that can better describe and explain these spaces.