Nodal Circuit Analysis using KCL

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about applying Kirchhoff's Current Law at a specific node in a circuit, but the given current values do not match up with the component values. The individual attempting to solve the question realizes this and questions whether they are missing something or if there was a typo. Another individual responds, stating that the given current values are indeed incorrect and suggests emailing the person who created the problem. The original individual thanks the other for their help.
Canaldigger

Homework Statement

I(a)= 11A, I(b)= 2.5A, I(c)= 3A. Apply KCL at node X to find I(x).

This question seems really simple as it tells me what to do and where to do it, but am I missing something or not remembering to apply some concept?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt: I assigned current flowing towards node x as positive and away as negative.
Ʃi=0; I(a)+I(b)-I(c)-I(x) = 0
After plugging in, I(x) = 10.5A
Is that all there is to the question?
I don't think this answer is correct and rather I should redraw the circuit as a three loop one and use Current divider equations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the given circuit component values the given current values are nonsense.

If you take the current values at face value and ignore the component values, then your answer (Ix = 10.5A) is fine. Otherwise, for the circuit as specified, the given current values are utter nonsense.

Shame on the one(s) who created the problem; they should not be teaching.

gneill said:
For the given circuit component values the given current values are nonsense.

If you take the current values at face value and ignore the component values, then your answer (Ix = 10.5A) is fine. Otherwise, for the circuit as specified, the given current values are utter nonsense.

Shame on the one(s) who created the problem; they should not be teaching.

I will email them and see if there was a typo or something. I was wondering why my values didn't match up when using KVL or any other equations that could apply to a circuit. I had an inkling that the figures might be wrong.

Thanks for help! This problem was driving me crazy.

Canaldigger said:
I will email them and see if there was a typo or something. I was wondering why my values didn't match up when using KVL or any other equations that could apply to a circuit. I had an inkling that the figures might be wrong.

Thanks for help! This problem was driving me crazy.

No problem. That's why we're here :smile:

As a scientist, your response may vary depending on your specific area of expertise. However, in general, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of nodal circuit analysis and KCL. Your attempt at a solution is correct, and yes, that is all there is to the question. Redrawing the circuit and using current divider equations may provide a different approach, but it is not necessary in this case. It is always good to double-check your work and try different methods to ensure accuracy, but your initial solution is valid. Keep up the good work!

Related to Nodal Circuit Analysis using KCL

1. What is KCL and how is it used in nodal circuit analysis?

KCL, or Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. This law is used in nodal circuit analysis to determine the voltages at each node in a circuit by writing equations based on the currents entering and exiting each node.

2. How do you choose which node to ground in nodal circuit analysis?

The choice of which node to ground in nodal circuit analysis is arbitrary and does not affect the final result. However, it is typically chosen to be the node with the most connections to simplify the calculations.

3. Can KCL be applied to circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, KCL can be applied to circuits with multiple voltage sources. Each voltage source is considered as a separate branch in the circuit and the currents entering and exiting that branch must also follow KCL.

4. Is nodal circuit analysis only applicable to DC circuits?

No, nodal circuit analysis can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, the values used for the voltage sources and components may differ in AC circuits due to the presence of impedance.

5. Are there any limitations to using nodal circuit analysis with KCL?

Nodal circuit analysis with KCL can become complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of nodes and components. In these cases, other methods such as mesh analysis or Thevenin's theorem may be more efficient. Additionally, KCL may only be applied to circuits with linear components.