Convergence/Divergence of a Series

• Thread starter sharkshockey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses using the ratio test to determine the convergence/divergence of the series \Sigma^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{1}{2^{n}+(\frac{1}{3})^{n}}. The solution involves expressing 2^{n+1} + \frac{1}{3^{n+1}} as a single fraction and applying a certain limit rule.
sharkshockey

Homework Statement

[tex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{n=0}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2^{n}+(\frac{1}{3})^{n}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to use the ratio test:

[tex]\frac{1}{2^{n+1}+(\frac{1}{3})^{n+1}}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{2^{n}+(\frac{1}{3})^{n}}{1}[/tex]

And I got [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2 + \frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

But I'm A) pretty sure it's wrong and B) if not, what do I do after that step?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't cancel the term [tex]2^n + (\frac{1}{3})^n[/tex] just like that since [tex]2^{n+1} + (\frac{1}{3})^{n+1} \ \mbox{is not} \ (2^n + (\frac{1}{3})^n) \cdot (2 + \frac{1}{3})[/tex]

Instead express [tex]2^n + (\frac{1}{3})^n[/tex] as a fraction and do the same for the (n+1) expression as well. Something will cancel out and then you should be able to apply a certain limit rule to get the answer.

I thought I could write 3n+1 as (3)(3n). So I should combine the two so that 2n + [tex]\frac{1}{3^{n}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{7}{6}[/tex][tex]^{n}[/tex] and then find its limit?

OH! Actually, could I write the f(x) as a fraction so I would get [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{7}{6}^{n}}[/tex] and then find its convergence/divergence through a geometric series? Or should I use an integral test?

3^(n+1) = 3(3^n). But that isn't what you're doing here. Just express [tex]2^{n+1} + \frac{1}{3^{n+1}}[/tex] as a single fraction. Then you can apply the ratio test easily.

1. What is the definition of convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to whether or not the sum of the terms in the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases towards infinity. If the sum approaches a finite value, the series is said to be convergent.

2. How is the convergence of a series determined?

The convergence of a series is determined by evaluating the limit of the partial sums of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite number, the series is convergent. Otherwise, it is divergent.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series in which the absolute value of each term is summed and the resulting series converges. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, refers to a series in which the sum of the terms converges, but the absolute values of the terms do not converge.

4. What is the significance of the ratio and root tests in determining convergence?

The ratio and root tests are commonly used to determine the convergence of a series. These tests provide a comparison between the terms of a series and a geometric series, which is known to either converge or diverge. If the limit of the ratio or root is less than 1, the series is convergent. If it is greater than 1, the series is divergent.

5. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. A series is either convergent or divergent, but not both. However, it is possible for a series to be neither convergent nor divergent, in which case it is said to be oscillating or undefined.