Experimental percent error in kinetic energy for elastic collision

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the experimental percent error in kinetic energy for a linear track with two carts. The initial kinetic energy (Ki) is 128.35 J and the final kinetic energy (Kf) is -8.926 J. The question is whether to keep the negative sign or not when applying the equation (Ki -Kf)/Ki*100%. One person believes that the result of 93% represents the amount of energy lost, while the other person is unsure. The equations used are Ki = 1/2mv^2 and Kt = Ki + Kf.
crazy4snow

Homework Statement

Experimental percent error in kinetic energy :
(Ki -Kf)/Ki*100% =
My Ki - 128.35 J
Kf = -8.926J - which I am still not sure if it should be negative or positive. This is for a linear track with two carts. First, I determined Velocity from the equation of the line. Then plugged it into the K=1/2mv^2 which gave me 8.9246J - but when you place it into the Ki + Kf = Kt I get a negative.

My question is - do i keep it negative for the (Ki -Kf)/Ki*100% equation - which gives me a 137%. Or do I forget the negative which would give me a 93%. And what does that even mean!? I am thinking that the 93% would be the amount lost in kinetic energy?

help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations Ki = 1/2mv^2 Kt = Ki + Kf The Attempt at a SolutionI think that the 93% is the amount lost in kinetic energy, but I am not sure.

1. What is experimental percent error in kinetic energy for elastic collision?

Experimental percent error in kinetic energy for elastic collision is the difference between the actual and calculated values of kinetic energy, expressed as a percentage of the actual value. It measures the accuracy of the experimental data and calculations.

2. How is experimental percent error calculated for elastic collision?

The experimental percent error in kinetic energy for elastic collision can be calculated using the formula: (|Actual value - Calculated value| / Actual value) x 100%. This gives the percentage difference between the two values.

3. What causes experimental percent error in kinetic energy for elastic collision?

Experimental percent error in kinetic energy for elastic collision can be caused by various factors such as measurement errors, experimental limitations, and uncertainties in the data. It can also be affected by the assumptions and simplifications made in the calculations.

4. How can experimental percent error be reduced in kinetic energy for elastic collision?

To reduce experimental percent error in kinetic energy for elastic collision, it is important to minimize measurement errors by using precise and accurate instruments. It is also crucial to repeat the experiment multiple times to get a more accurate average value. Additionally, reducing experimental limitations and uncertainties can also help in reducing the percent error.

5. What is an acceptable range for experimental percent error in kinetic energy for elastic collision?

An acceptable range for experimental percent error in kinetic energy for elastic collision depends on the specific experiment and the level of accuracy required. In general, a percent error less than 5% is considered acceptable, but it can vary depending on the experiment and the scientific field.