Struggling with Studying Physics? Here's How to Improve Your Approach

In summary: I'm on the verge of giving up, really. :(Is there any particular course that you're having trouble with? One specific topic that, in your opinion, you aren't approaching problems in the right way? Are there others in your class that you can speak to, to try and learn how to approach problems better or, if not, can you approach a tutor? You shouldn't give up without exhausting avenues that might help you.In summary, I'm struggling with physics and don't feel like I'm doing well. I'm considering switching to another subject but I'm worried about how to approach problems. I'm also worried about how I'm doing in my class and if I'm the only one struggling. I
silenzer
I'm on my second year in physics and I've begun to think I've chosen the wrong subject. I feel like I simply don't possesses the thinking processes of a physicist. Is there a specific way I should approach problems? A specific way I should think about concepts in my mind? I'm on the verge of giving up, really. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any particular course that you're having trouble with? One specific topic that, in your opinion, you aren't approaching problems in the right way? Are there others in your class that you can speak to, to try and learn how to approach problems better or, if not, can you approach a tutor? You shouldn't give up without exhausting avenues that might help you.

Math and physics is an acquired knowledge. It's not exactly a common sense thing. Learning curve is very steep. It's like everyone can understand and laugh at a joke. But it require time to learn how to appreciate Shakespeare.

I am not saying whether you have it or not, I just say you need more time, get a tutor, ask specific question in this forum and see. Stick it out for another year, concentrate on more calculus as it is important for other fields. UC Berkley require Cal I and cal II even for business major...for good reason.

I feel like I simply don't possesses the thinking processes of a physicist.

What makes you think so? Can you give examples? It's more important that you enjoy the work you you do.

I strongly suspect this is not clear statement about what is troubling you.
Do you find you think you know the 'formulas and concepts' but have trouble deciding how to attack problems? Or are the formulas and concepts not clear...

A specific way I should think about concepts in my mind?

yes, personally. Do you make notes when reading new concepts?? key points?

I always found it useful to 'explain concepts' to my, in my own words...best if you write those down as summary notes. You can also try explaining formulas to yourself in words. What does each formula concept mean...how does it apply...and relate to other formulas/ concepts...
I also found it helpful to tutor a couple of friends...

Do you enjoy math and have the math skills for your physics??

First of all, I want to say that it is completely normal to feel overwhelmed or discouraged when studying a complex subject like physics. It is a challenging field, but it is also incredibly rewarding. So please don't give up just yet.

To answer your question, there is no one specific way to approach problems or think about concepts in physics. Everyone has their own unique thought processes and learning styles. However, there are some general strategies that can help you become a better physicist.

Firstly, it is important to have a strong foundation in math. Physics is heavily based on mathematical concepts and equations, so it is crucial to have a solid understanding of algebra, calculus, and other mathematical tools.

Secondly, practice is key. The more you work through problems and practice applying concepts, the better you will become at thinking like a physicist. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, as they can be valuable learning opportunities.

Another important aspect of studying physics is to have a curious and open mind. Physics is all about exploring and understanding the natural world, so it is important to approach problems and concepts with a sense of wonder and curiosity. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out additional resources for a deeper understanding.

Lastly, it is important to find a study method that works best for you. This could involve creating study guides, making flashcards, or working in study groups. Experiment with different methods and find what works best for you.

Remember, becoming a physicist takes time and dedication. Don't be too hard on yourself and give yourself the space to make mistakes and learn from them. Seek out help from professors, tutors, or other students if you are struggling. You have already made it to your second year, so you are clearly capable and have what it takes to succeed in this field. Keep pushing forward and don't give up.

1. How do you study physics?

Studying physics involves a combination of theoretical knowledge, mathematical skills, and practical experimentation. It is important to have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking skills. To study physics effectively, it is important to read textbooks, take detailed notes, practice solving problems, and conduct experiments to test theoretical concepts.

2. What are the best study strategies for physics?

Some effective study strategies for physics include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps, practicing regularly, and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed. It is also helpful to form study groups with peers to discuss and work through difficult concepts together.

3. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

Improving your understanding of physics requires consistent practice and review. It is important to actively engage with the material, ask questions, and seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or videos. It can also be helpful to make connections between different concepts and real-world applications.

4. What are some common challenges when studying physics?

Some common challenges when studying physics include understanding complex mathematical concepts, visualizing abstract theories, and applying them to real-world problems. It can also be challenging to keep up with the fast-paced nature of physics courses and balancing time between theoretical study and practical experimentation.

5. Are there any specific tips for studying for physics exams?

To prepare for physics exams, it is important to review notes and practice solving problems regularly. It can also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards to reinforce important concepts and formulas. Additionally, make sure to get a good night's sleep before the exam and arrive early to the exam to reduce stress and anxiety.