Understanding Boundary Conditions: Why 33.22abe is False

In summary, the author is discussing the concept of continuity in terms of E_\parallel and dB/dt. They point out that a discontinuity in E_\parallel would result in an infinite dB/dt, and that the continuity of E_\parallel is often shown using Stokes' theorem. They also mention that the statement in equation 33.22a may be a misprint. The conversation also includes a question about why equation 33.22b would be false if it were discontinuous, but the answer to this is not clear.
Bert
what do mean the author by the red underline line?
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/7404/contfv6.jpg

Why would 33.22abe false? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
His point is that a discontinuity in E_\parallel would require an infinite dB/dt.
The continutiy of E_\parallel is more frequently shown usilng Stokes' theorem, which I think is a bit clearer, but also depends on finite dB/dt.

Oké thanks I understand that.

But by contradiction if 33.22b would be discontinue than equation 33.22a would be false why can he say that?

The first argument about the continuity of 33.2b is clear but for me not the second contraction proof.

I think his mention 0f 33.2a is a misprint.
I don't know what you mean by "contraction proof".

Sorry for my bad English I mean a proof by contradiction.

1. What are boundary conditions?

Boundary conditions are the set of constraints or limitations that define the behavior of a system at its boundary or interface with another system. They are essential for solving physical or mathematical problems and understanding the behavior of a system.

2. Why are boundary conditions important?

Boundary conditions are important because they provide the necessary information for solving problems or understanding the behavior of a system. Without boundary conditions, solutions to problems or predictions of system behavior would be incomplete or incorrect.

3. How are boundary conditions determined?

Boundary conditions are determined through experimental data, mathematical models, or physical laws that govern the behavior of a system. They can also be defined based on the specific problem being solved and the assumptions made about the system.

4. What is the significance of "33.22abe" in the statement "Understanding Boundary Conditions: Why 33.22abe is False"?

The significance of "33.22abe" in the statement refers to a specific set of boundary conditions that have been identified as false or incorrect. It could be a specific value or condition that has been proven to be inaccurate or invalid in relation to the problem being studied.

5. How can incorrect boundary conditions affect the outcome of a study or experiment?

Incorrect boundary conditions can greatly impact the outcome of a study or experiment by leading to incorrect solutions or predictions. This can result in misleading conclusions or unreliable data, which can ultimately hinder progress in a particular field of study.