Calculate Velocity/Acceleration from Angular Vel/Acc & Radius of Disk

• Thread starter looseliver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a point on a moving disk with known angular velocity, angular acceleration, and radius, you can use the equations v = w*r and a = w*r, respectively. However, the second equation should be a = w*r instead of a = x*r.
looseliver

Homework Statement

How do i calculate the velocity and accaleration of a point on a moving disk when i know the angular velocity , angular acceleration and radius of the disk?

Homework Equations

angular velocity 8k rad/s
angular acceleration -10k rad/s2
Radius 0.5m

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote under "Relevant equations" actually belongs into the "Homework Statement " part. So, what are the relevant equations?

Sorry about that. this is my first post.

The relevant equations is what i am unsure about...
I am considering using:
v=wr
Velocity = angular velocity x Radius

and:
a=xr
Acceleration = angular velocity x Radius.

I'm not certain if these are the correct equations to use. Just seems a bit straight forward.

You got the first relation right, but not the second one. The acceleration of the point equals angular acceleration times the radius.

To calculate the velocity and acceleration of a point on a moving disk, we can use the following equations:

Velocity (v) = radius (r) * angular velocity (ω)
Acceleration (a) = radius (r) * angular acceleration (α)

Substituting the given values, we get:

Velocity (v) = 0.5m * 8k rad/s = 4m/s
Acceleration (a) = 0.5m * (-10k rad/s2) = -5m/s2

Therefore, the velocity of the point on the disk is 4m/s and the acceleration is -5m/s2. It is important to note that the acceleration is negative, indicating that the point is experiencing a deceleration or slowing down in its motion. This could be due to friction or other external forces acting on the disk.

What is the formula for calculating velocity from angular velocity and radius of a disk?

The formula for calculating velocity from angular velocity and radius of a disk is v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the disk.

What is the formula for calculating acceleration from angular velocity and radius of a disk?

The formula for calculating acceleration from angular velocity and radius of a disk is a = ω²r, where a is the linear acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the disk.

How do I convert angular velocity to linear velocity?

To convert angular velocity to linear velocity, use the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the disk.

Can I use any unit of measurement for angular velocity and radius of a disk?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for angular velocity and radius of a disk, as long as they are consistent. For example, if the radius is given in meters, then the angular velocity should also be in units of radians per second.

What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity for a disk?

The relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity for a disk is that they are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the disk.