How Do I Solve -0.874 = sin2θ in Physics?

• Thread starter twenty5
  • Start date
In summary, the football player is kicking the ball above ground on a horizontal plane (straight field), and he is kicking it forward to a distance other than where he is standing, it has to be somewhere between 0o and 89o.
twenty5
BLAHH! I can't figure this one out!

how do I isolate θ??

Statement is...

-0.874 = sin2θ

jeeebuss can someone walk me through LOL! I need it to finish off a 4 hour physics question =/

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi twenty5! :smile:

walk this way … if x = sinθ, then θ = sin-1x (or arcsin x) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi twenty5! :smile:

walk this way … if x = sinθ, then θ = sin-1x (or arcsin x) :wink:

so, if -0.874 = sin2θ

then...
sin-1(-0.874) = 2θ

then...

(sin-1(-0.874))/2 = θ?

twenty5 said:
so, if -0.874 = sin2θ

then...
sin-1(-0.874) = 2θ

then...

(sin-1(-0.874))/2 = θ?

Yes, except …

i] it's normal to have only positive numbers inside the sin-1

ii] you didn't say what the range of θ was … did they specify 0 < θ < π or 2π or what? … there may be several solutions, especially since you're divding the angle by 2 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, except …

i] it's normal to have only positive numbers inside the sin-1

ii] you didn't say what the range of θ was … did they specify 0 < θ < π or 2π or what? … there may be several solutions, especially since you're divding the angle by 2 :wink:

hmm not sure because I'm using this to do this... https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=293717

the very final post should be mine =P

right, since the football player is kicking the ball above ground on a horizontal plane (straight field), and he is kicking it forward to a distance other than where he is standing, it has to be somewhere between 0o and 89o

so, the answer I ended up with was -30.46o... so would that mean it is... wrong? LOL! omg... can't believe I spent 4 -5 hours to end up with a wrong answer -__- so depressing..

hmm … your minus sign seems to have come in post #18, but you don't show how you got it …

yes, you need an answer between 0 and 90º, but your formula should give you two such answers.

and I'm going to bed now … :zzz:​

1. What does the equation -0.874=sin2θ mean?

The equation -0.874=sin2θ is a trigonometric equation that represents the relationship between the values of the sine function and the angle θ. The value -0.874 is the solution to the equation, and it represents the y-coordinate of a point on the unit circle at an angle of 2θ.

2. How do I solve the equation -0.874=sin2θ?

To solve the equation -0.874=sin2θ, you can use inverse trigonometric functions. First, isolate the sine function by dividing both sides by 2. Then, take the inverse sine of both sides to find the value of 2θ. Finally, divide 2θ by 2 to find the value of θ.

3. What is the unit circle and how does it relate to the equation -0.874=sin2θ?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin on a Cartesian plane. It is used to visualize the values of the trigonometric functions at different angles. In the equation -0.874=sin2θ, the value of -0.874 represents the y-coordinate of a point on the unit circle at an angle of 2θ.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve the equation -0.874=sin2θ?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the equation -0.874=sin2θ. Most scientific calculators have the necessary functions to solve trigonometric equations, such as the inverse sine function and the ability to work with radians or degrees.

5. What are the possible solutions to the equation -0.874=sin2θ?

The equation -0.874=sin2θ has an infinite number of solutions, as there are an infinite number of angles that have a sine value of -0.874. However, when solving for θ, the solutions will be limited to a specific range, depending on the units used (radians or degrees).