Loop falling in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a conducting circular loop with resistance R in a magnetic field and gravitational field, and how z and the current in the loop change over time. The flux through the loop and its time derivative are calculated to determine the induced current, which can then be used to calculate the z component of the magnetic force. The question of how this changes if the loop is superconducting is raised, and it is suggested that a superconducting loop would exclude the magnetic field and therefore have no induced current or magnetic force applied to it.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
There is a conducting circular loop with resistance R falling in the magnetic field [itex] \vec{B}=B_\rho(\rho,z)\hat\rho+B_z(\rho,z)\hat z [/itex] and gravitational field [itex]\vec g=-g\hat z[/itex]. How does z and the current in the loop change in time?(assume the loop remains horizontal!)
The flux through the loop is [itex] \int_0^a\int_0^{2\pi} B_z \rho d\varphi d\rho[/itex], Its time derivative is [itex] \int_0^a \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial z} \frac{dz}{dt} \rho d\varphi d\rho [/itex] and so the induced current is [itex] I=\frac{1}{R} \int_0^a \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial z} \frac{dz}{dt} \rho d\varphi d\rho [/itex]. Now we can write the z component of the magnetic force as [itex]-\frac{2\pi a B_\rho}{R} \int_0^a \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial z} \frac{dz}{dt} \rho d\varphi d\rho [/itex]. So we have:
[itex]

\ddot z=-g-\frac{dz}{dt}\frac{4\pi^2 a B_\rho}{m R} \int_0^a \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial z} \rho d\rho

[/itex]
Which gives us z as a function of time and then I can be calculated easily.

1- Is everything OK?
2-Any hints or suggestions or further explanations?
3-How does this change if the loop is superconducting?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. I've not checked the details.

My main question is the third. What should I do if the loop is superconducting?

Is it right to say that the superconducting loop excludes the magnetic field and so there will be no induced current and so no magnetic force is applied to it?

Related to Loop falling in a magnetic field

1. What is a loop falling in a magnetic field?

A loop falling in a magnetic field refers to the phenomenon where a conducting loop is placed in a region with a magnetic field and experiences a downward acceleration due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through the loop. This is known as the Lorentz force and is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism.

2. How does the magnetic field affect the loop's motion?

The magnetic field exerts a force on the moving charges in the loop, which causes the loop to experience a downward acceleration. The direction of this force is dependent on the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current in the loop.

3. What factors affect the speed at which the loop falls?

The speed at which the loop falls is influenced by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the loop, the size and shape of the loop, and the presence of any other forces acting on the loop.

4. Can the loop's motion be controlled in a magnetic field?

Yes, the motion of the loop can be controlled by changing the strength or direction of the magnetic field or by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the loop. This is the basis for many electromagnetic devices, such as electric motors and generators.

5. What applications does the concept of loop falling in a magnetic field have?

The concept of loop falling in a magnetic field has numerous practical applications, including electric motors, generators, magnetic levitation trains, and particle accelerators. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.