Troubleshooting XP Programs on Vista: Compatibility Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution for running programs on Vista that are designed for XP. The solution involves setting compatibility mode and privilege level to "XP-SP2" and "administrator" for both the installer and executable files before running them. The speaker also mentions that this procedure will not always work if the files are accidentally run first. Another person thanks the speaker for sharing this trick as they were not aware of it.
sysreset
I would like to post a solution I found to a common problem, and invite comments from people who know of even better modifications.

I have had major problems getting certain programs that run fine on XP to run on Vista. I have found that if before installing the program on a Vista machine you right-click on the executable installer file, go into properties, click the "compatibility" tab, and set compatilbily mode to "XP-SP2" and privilege level to "administrator", and THEN run the installer file, and then do the same thing for ALL of the executable (.exe) files that are created by the installer BEFORE running them that this frequently solves the problem.

The key point I wanted to make was to do this to the installer AND to the executable files BEFORE running them. If you accidently run the files first, this procedure will not always work.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Is this something new? I have been doing these things from many years for running some windows 95 mobile related programs in my XP.

sysreset said:
I would like to post a solution I found to a common problem, and invite comments from people who know of even better modifications.

I have had major problems getting certain programs that run fine on XP to run on Vista. I have found that if before installing the program on a Vista machine you right-click on the executable installer file, go into properties, click the "compatibility" tab, and set compatilbily mode to "XP-SP2" and privilege level to "administrator", and THEN run the installer file, and then do the same thing for ALL of the executable (.exe) files that are created by the installer BEFORE running them that this frequently solves the problem.

The key point I wanted to make was to do this to the installer AND to the executable files BEFORE running them. If you accidently run the files first, this procedure will not always work.

Thanks for posting this. I was not aware of that trick and I juts bought a laptop with Vista installed.

1. Can I run all my XP programs on Vista?

No, not all XP programs are compatible with Vista. Some older programs may not work properly or at all on the newer operating system.

2. How do I know if a program is compatible with Vista?

You can check the program's system requirements or search for compatibility information online. Microsoft also provides a free compatibility tool called "Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor" which can scan your computer and give you a report on which programs may have compatibility issues.

3. Can I run XP programs on Vista using a virtual machine?

Yes, you can use virtualization software such as VMware or VirtualBox to run a virtual instance of XP on your Vista computer. This will allow you to run XP programs within the virtual machine.

4. What if I have an XP program that is not compatible with Vista?

You may be able to find a newer version of the program that is compatible with Vista. If not, you can try using compatibility mode by right-clicking on the program's shortcut, selecting "Properties," and then going to the "Compatibility" tab. From there, you can choose to run the program in compatibility mode for XP.

5. Will running XP programs on Vista affect my computer's performance?

It is possible that running XP programs on Vista may cause some performance issues, especially if the program is not compatible. It is recommended to use the latest version of the program or to use virtualization software instead of relying on compatibility mode. Additionally, it is important to regularly update your operating system and programs to ensure optimal performance.