Find Hockey Stick Data: Tips from Liz

• Thread starter lizglasgow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the conversation discusses the request for data on the composition of hockey sticks and how composite sticks have more power and stiffness compared to wooden ones. The conversation also mentions the coefficient of restitution and suggests looking at research on baseball bats for a similar principle. Clarification is also given for whether the conversation is referring to field or ice hockey. A book titled "A Fresh Approach to Sports Equipment Design" is referenced, specifically page 81, where the power equation for hockey sticks can be found.
lizglasgow
Can anyone suggest where I can geet data on hockey composition - I have been everywhere
Thanks
Liz

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry what do you mean?
The famous 'hockey stick' curve - rise in CO2/temperature levels and climate change
or the material that a hockey stick is made from?

hi, no i need data on how composite hockey sticks hit further and with more power than their wooden equivalent. thank you.

Think in terms of spring stiffness - there's probably lots of papers/research on baseball bats = same principle.

Coefficient of restitution of the stick is higher for composites. They also tend to be stiffer. you are unlikely to find any exact compositions or manufacturing data for real sticks as companies keep that to themselves.

Also just to clarify are you taling about field or ice hockey?.http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPA81,M1
Page 81

You don't need to read all of it just look for the power equation. That'll give you all the terms that count.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding hockey stick data?

The purpose of finding hockey stick data is to understand the trends and patterns in the sport of hockey, which can be used for analysis and decision making in various aspects such as player performance, team strategies, and league standings.

2. Where can I find reliable sources for hockey stick data?

There are many reliable sources for hockey stick data, including official league websites, statistics databases, and research articles. It is important to ensure that the source is reputable and the data is accurate before using it for analysis.

3. How can I organize and analyze the collected hockey stick data?

There are various methods for organizing and analyzing hockey stick data, such as using spreadsheets or statistical software. It is important to have a clear research question and hypothesis in order to properly interpret the data and draw meaningful conclusions.

4. What are some common challenges in finding and using hockey stick data?

Some common challenges in finding and using hockey stick data include inconsistencies in data collection methods, missing or incomplete data, and the need for advanced statistical knowledge to properly analyze the data. It is important to carefully consider and address these challenges in order to ensure the validity and reliability of the results.

5. How can I use hockey stick data to improve my understanding of the sport?

Hockey stick data can be used to gain insights and understanding of various aspects of the sport, such as player performance, team strategies, and league trends. By analyzing the data, one can identify patterns and trends that can contribute to a deeper understanding of the sport and inform decision making in various contexts.