Question on special case reactions between metal and acid

In summary, when copper metal is exposed to hot and concentrated sulfuric acid, it reacts to form copper (II) sulfate, sulfur dioxide, and water. Similarly, when it reacts with hot and concentrated nitric acid, it produces copper (II) nitrate, nitrogen monoxide, and water. These reactions occur because copper is a reactive metal and can be oxidized by these strong acids. Other metals that react in a similar way with hot and concentrated acids to produce gases include nitric and perchloric acid. However, concentrated sulfuric acid is also a strong oxidizing agent.
xtprtpr
I am a GCSE student and I am wondering why copper metal reacts with hot, concentrated sulfuric acid to produce copper (II) sulfate, sulfur dioxide, and water. Copper also reacts with hot, concentrated nitric acid to form copper (II) nitrate, nitrogen monoxide and water. Why do these reactions work? What other metals react with hot and concentrated acids this way to produce gases(not hydrogen gas)? Any help would be appreciated. I am just a GCSE student so pardon me if I do not understand certain explanations. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Oh I see. What acids are strong oxidizing agents though?

Of those commonly used nitric and to some extent concentrated sulfuric. Of those less often used - perchloric acid.

These reactions between metals and acids are known as single displacement reactions. In these reactions, the metal atoms are oxidized and the hydrogen ions from the acid are reduced.

In the case of copper reacting with hot, concentrated sulfuric acid, the sulfuric acid provides the hydrogen ions needed for the reduction, while the copper atoms provide the electrons for the oxidation. This results in the formation of copper (II) sulfate, sulfur dioxide, and water.

Similarly, when copper reacts with hot, concentrated nitric acid, the nitric acid provides the hydrogen ions and also acts as an oxidizing agent, causing the copper atoms to lose electrons and form copper (II) nitrate, nitrogen monoxide, and water.

Other metals that can react with hot and concentrated acids in a similar way include iron, zinc, and aluminum. These metals are also capable of providing electrons for oxidation and can form different products depending on the specific acid used.

It is important to note that not all metals will react with acids in the same way. Some metals, such as gold and platinum, are resistant to corrosion and will not react with acids at all. Others, such as magnesium and sodium, will react vigorously with acids, producing different products and potentially dangerous gases like hydrogen gas.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the reactions between metals and acids. Keep up your curiosity and continue to explore the fascinating world of chemistry!

1. What is a special case reaction between metal and acid?

A special case reaction between metal and acid refers to a chemical reaction that occurs when a metal is exposed to an acid. This reaction typically involves the transfer of electrons from the metal to the acid, resulting in the production of a salt and hydrogen gas.

2. Which metals react with acids?

Most metals, with the exception of noble metals such as gold and platinum, can react with acids. Commonly used metals in these reactions include zinc, iron, magnesium, and aluminum.

3. Why do metals react with acids?

Metals react with acids because they have a tendency to lose electrons in order to achieve a stable electron configuration. When these metals come into contact with an acid, the acid provides an electron acceptor, allowing the metal to release electrons and form a stable compound.

4. What are some examples of special case reactions between metal and acid?

Examples of special case reactions between metal and acid include the reaction between magnesium and hydrochloric acid, which results in the production of magnesium chloride and hydrogen gas, and the reaction between iron and sulfuric acid, which produces iron sulfate and hydrogen gas.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when conducting a reaction between metal and acid?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when conducting a reaction between metal and acid. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. Additionally, it is important to carefully handle the acid and dispose of it properly after the reaction is complete.