Relationship between Pressure of Gas and Mechanical Work

In summary, pressure is a measure of force per unit area and can be changed, while volume is a measure of how much space a substance occupies. When pressure and temperature are increased while the number of particles is the same, the volume has decreased. Mechanical work is a measure of energy, and can be done when pressure and volume are changed, but without a change in volume no work occurs.
PPMC
Is there a mechanical work equivalent to a change in the pressure of a gas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical work is energy, pressure is force per unit area. How can they be equivalent? :smile:

but if the pressure changes doesn't that imply a change in volume, which could do work or a change in temperature which means a change in energy?

PPMC said:
but if the pressure changes doesn't that imply a change in volume, which could do work or a change in temperature which means a change in energy?

No it doesn't. If you have a box with fixed walls you can change it's pressure by heating or cooling it. The volume will remain the same and the work equals zero.

Your right, thanks. But if the change in temperature did not account for the entire amount of work and a change in volume did occur, given the change in temperature and pressure I could find the change in volume, so would this have a mechanical work equivalent?

It would, by that's the 1st law of thermodynamics

[tex]Q=W+\Delta U[/tex]

i.e. the heat given equals the work done + internal's energy change

and internal energy change would be the change in pressure?

A change in the pressure will cause a change in the amount of work that a change in volume accomplishes, but without a change in volume no work occurs. Remember that dW = -PdV

No! The internal energy is given by

[tex] dU=n\,C_V\,d\,T[/tex]

i.e. it is proportional to the change of the temperature not to the pressure!

so mcdT - nCdT = Mechanical Work ?

Correct! 1st law of thermodynamics :smile:

what if p changes for the equation W = pdV? would I use the initial p or the final p?

If temperature is constant, you can use the ideal gas law to write the pressure as a function of the volume and integrate...

The work done through a revisible process is given by

[tex]d\,W=p\,d\,V\Rightarrow W=\int_{V_i}^{V_f}p\,d\,V[/tex]

if you are familiar with integrals.

Perhaps an example will help me. If the pressure and temperature of a gas increase, while the # of moles is the same, then the volume has decreased. How could I find the amount of mechanical work done.

The volume doesn't need to decrease in that process. The increase in temperature could compensate for the increase of pressure in the ideal gas law, and so the volume could remain constant. It doesn't have to remain constant, I guess, but that would probably be complicated to calculate a simple form for the work, since the temperature changes with the volume too.

If temperature happened to remain constant, along with the particle number, while pressure increased, then volume would have to decrease, and if the process is quasistatic, then [itex]dW = PdV[/itex], and so

[tex] W = \int_{V_0}^{V_f}P dV = n k_B T \int_{V_0}^{V_f}\frac{dV}{V}[/tex]

which you can integrate to find the work done. (Note that [itex]nk_B = NR[/itex] - I've just expressed the ideal gas law in terms of boltzmann's constant and particle number instead of the gas constant and number of moles).

Last edited:
o haha I see I can sub with the one which is assumed constant during a particular section... ok I'm satisfied. Thanks everyone.

1. What is the relationship between pressure of gas and mechanical work?

The relationship between pressure of gas and mechanical work is known as Boyle's Law. It states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume when temperature is held constant. This means that as pressure increases, the volume decreases and vice versa.

2. How does the pressure of gas affect the mechanical work it can do?

The pressure of gas directly affects the mechanical work it can do. As the pressure increases, the gas molecules collide more frequently with the walls of the container, exerting a higher force. This results in an increase in the mechanical work done by the gas.

3. What is the mathematical equation for the relationship between pressure of gas and mechanical work?

The mathematical equation for Boyle's Law is P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 represent the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 represent the final pressure and volume.

4. How does temperature affect the relationship between pressure of gas and mechanical work?

Temperature has a direct effect on the relationship between pressure of gas and mechanical work. According to the Ideal Gas Law, as temperature increases, the volume of the gas also increases. This means that at a constant pressure, the gas can do more mechanical work as its volume increases.

5. What practical applications does the relationship between pressure of gas and mechanical work have?

The relationship between pressure of gas and mechanical work has many practical applications. Some examples include the use of compressed gases to power machines, such as air compressors in construction, and the use of pressurized gases in scuba diving equipment. Understanding this relationship can also help in the design and maintenance of gas systems in various industries.