(Ugly?) Inequalities - Squares and sums

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying an identity involving real numbers, the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality, and using it to prove the triangle inequality. The conversation also mentions trying to prove these by induction or manipulating sums and squares properly.
mattmns
Here is the question from the book:
------
Let [itex]n\geq1[/itex] and let [itex]a_1,...,a_n[/itex] and [itex]b_1,...,b_n[/itex] be real numbers. Verify the identity:
[tex]\left(\sum_{i=1}^n{a_ib_i}\right)^2 + \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^n{\sum_{j=1}^n{\left(a_ib_j-a_jb_i\right)^2}} = \left(\sum_{i=1}^n{a_i^2}\right)\left(\sum_{j=1}^n{b_j^2}\right)[/tex]

and conclude the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality:

[tex]\left|\sum_{i=1}^n{a_ib_i}\right| \leq \left(\sum_{i=1}^n{a_i^2}\right)^{1/2} \left(\sum_{j=1}^n{b_j^2}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]

Then use Cauchy-Schwartz to prove the triangle inequality:

[tex]\left(\sum_{i=1}^n{(a_i^2+b_i^2)}\right)^{1/2} \leq \left(\sum_{i=1}^n{a_i^2}\right)^{1/2} + \left(\sum_{j=1}^n{b_j^2}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]
----------------

I have been trying to mess around with the first one, and see what is going on, but it is looking extremely ugly, even with [itex]n=3[/itex].

Should I be trying to prove these by induction? Or are there some ways to manipulate these things easily? I guess the problem is almost notation, or that I don't know how to manipulate sums and squares properly. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Put it in this form:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n{\sum_{j=1}^n{a_i b_i a_j b_j +\frac{1}{2}\left(a_ib_j-a_jb_i\right)^2 - a_i^2 b_j^2}} = 0[/tex]

Now you basically just expand the middle term and wiggle some indices.

1. What are inequalities?

Inequalities are mathematical expressions that show a relationship between two values, indicating that one value is greater than, less than, or not equal to the other value. They are often represented using the symbols <, >, ≤, ≥, or ≠.

2. How are inequalities used in squares and sums?

Inequalities are commonly used in squares and sums to compare the values of two or more numbers. For example, when finding the sum of two numbers, an inequality can be used to determine which number is greater and should be placed in the larger square.

3. What is the difference between "ugly" and "beautiful" inequalities?

"Ugly" inequalities refer to those that are not easily solved or do not have a simple solution. In contrast, "beautiful" inequalities have a clear and elegant solution that can be easily understood.

4. How are squares and sums related to inequalities?

Squares and sums are often used in conjunction with inequalities to solve mathematical problems. Squares are used to represent numbers, and sums are used to find the total value of a set of numbers. Inequalities are then used to compare these values and draw conclusions.

5. Can inequalities be graphed?

Yes, inequalities can be graphed on a number line or coordinate plane. The solution to an inequality is represented by a shaded area on the graph, with values inside the shaded area satisfying the inequality and values outside the shaded area not satisfying the inequality.