Masters from not-so-reputable univ okay?

• Thread starter catsarebad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Masters
In summary, the options for obtaining a Masters in Applied Mathematics are: 1) Depaul University, 2) IIT, or 3) taking Mathematics classes as a non-degree student, getting good grades, and seeing if you can attend a better university.
catsarebad
Hello,

I really want Masters degree in Applied Mathematics (i'm into ODE, PDE, etc). I will have to take loan to pay for it. Here are the three current options I have:

1) Depaul University
very very costly - main is Stat - very very easy to get into
http://csh.depaul.edu/academics/graduate/applied-mathematics-ms/Pages/degree-requirements.aspx

2) IIT
costly - seems decent - has couple of PDE classes
http://www.iit.edu/csl/programs/professional_masters/master_applied_math.shtml

3) take Mathematics classes as a non-degree student, get good grades, and see if I can attend a better university

My goal is to teach and community college. They all seem to want at least Masters. As an undergrad, I did double major in Math and Physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to do a masters why don't you do it somewhere where it doesn't actually cost you? Many schools in many countries will pay a stipend that covers basic living costs and tuition for a masters(e.g. Canada)

I don't recommend taking a loan for a math degree unless your desire is to work on Wall Street. Engineering would be OK.

I can't go out of States. I seriously have horrible finance. I got offered small scholarship at IIT and even now I would have to take huge amount of loan...probably $ 30k above in a single year.

my third option is like 10k a year w/o financial aid (given i eventually get admitted).

i don't want to take loan either but it's not like an option tho.edit: i know i'll do very well once admitted...and to be admitted i need to be able to afford tuition price.

catsarebad said:
I can't go out of States. I seriously have horrible finance. I got offered small scholarship at IIT and even then I would have to take huge amount of loan probably $ 30k above in a single year.

my third option is like 10k a year w/o financial aid (given i eventually get admitted).

i don't want to take loan either but it's not like an option tho.

But there are schools that will pay YOU to go there if you have the minimum requirements for their program?

catsarebad said:
I can't go out of States. I seriously have horrible finance. I got offered small scholarship at IIT and even now I would have to take huge amount of loan...probably $ 30k above in a single year.

i don't want to take loan either but it's not like an option tho.

edit: i know i'll do very well once admitted...and to be admitted i need to be able to afford tuition price.

look up the financial maths msc program of iit, I hear it's a good degree and will land you a job in chicago that should help solving your financial issues.

Related to Masters from not-so-reputable univ okay?

1. Is a Masters degree from a not-so-reputable university still valuable?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and the specific program you are considering. While a degree from a prestigious university may open more doors and provide a stronger network, a degree from a lesser-known university can still provide valuable skills and knowledge.

2. Will employers look down on a Masters degree from a not-so-reputable university?

Some employers may have a bias towards degrees from more well-known universities, but many also value the skills and experience gained from any accredited program. It is important to highlight your achievements and the strengths of the program during the job search process.

3. How can I determine if a not-so-reputable university's Masters program is legitimate?

Research the accreditation of the university and the specific program you are interested in. Look into the faculty and their qualifications, as well as the curriculum and any partnerships or affiliations the university may have with reputable institutions.

4. Will a Masters degree from a not-so-reputable university impact my future job prospects or further education opportunities?

While it may not carry the same weight as a degree from a top university, a Masters degree from a not-so-reputable university can still demonstrate your dedication and expertise in a specific field. It may be helpful to gain experience and showcase your skills through internships or other opportunities to supplement your education.

5. How can I make the most out of a Masters degree from a not-so-reputable university?

Take advantage of the resources and opportunities available to you, such as networking events, career services, and internships. Focus on developing your skills and gaining relevant experience to make yourself stand out to potential employers. Also, consider pursuing additional certifications or courses to supplement your education and showcase your expertise.