Student Struggling to Decide: Physics or Mechanical Engineering?

In summary, the speaker is facing a dilemma as they want to pursue a career in engineering but their desired major, Mechanical Engineering, is full at their university. They are considering meeting with an advisor to explore other options, but are worried about the low admission rate for transfers into the department. They are also concerned about potentially being left with a degree in a field they do not want to pursue.
MissSilvy
It's time to register for classes again and I'm afraid I have a slight dilemma. My major, currently, is Physics. I enjoy Physics and I have no wish to transfer out of it, but I have no interest whatsoever in doing pure physics as a career (research and teaching aren't my style, neither are the other common options) so I was planning to get a second major in mechanical Engineering. Everything would've worked just fine except our MechE department (University of Illinois) is absolutely full. They admitted too many new undergrads and so they're thinking about closing transfers for an indefinite amount of time. This is worrying because I'm starting sophomore year soon and since I have not a single GenEd left to take, I need to start the specialized science and math classes soon (I'm currently taking the basics, so it's not not an issue yet but they will run out soon and if I don't decide, I could be here much longer than I need to be).

What should I do? I'm meeting with an adviser from MechE but it is the most difficult department in the university to transfer into and if I don't get in, I don't know what to do. I'll be left high and dry with a degree in an area that I never wanted to pursue a career in. I suppose I could consider another engineering field but that option is a last resort. Thank you everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org

At one point I tried to do the same, I'm at UIUC too and a junior in physics. Check you messages.

Are they "thinking about" closing the option down or have they done this? Personally, I would wait to find out what the actual situation is before really stressing over it. Meeting with the advisor is a good idea, as he or she will likely be able to give you some clarification.

Afunk: Checked, thank you :)

Choppy: Even the prospect that they're thinking about it is worrying. Last year they admitted a total of TWO transfers out of about 300 that applied, so the admissions rate isn't good by any means. A very low to no shot means I probably should start worrying right now :/

1. Should I choose physics or mechanical engineering as a major?

This is a common question among students who are interested in both fields. The answer depends on your interests and career goals. If you enjoy theoretical concepts and want to pursue a career in research, then physics might be a good choice. On the other hand, if you are interested in applying scientific principles to design and build machinery, then mechanical engineering might be a better fit.

2. Which major has better job prospects?

Both physics and mechanical engineering have excellent job prospects, but they are different fields. Physics graduates often go on to work in research, academia, or technology-related positions. Mechanical engineering graduates typically work in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, or energy. Ultimately, your job prospects will depend on your skills, experience, and networking efforts.

3. Is one major more challenging than the other?

Both physics and mechanical engineering are challenging majors, but the difficulty may vary depending on your strengths and interests. Physics requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think abstractly. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, involves applying scientific principles to real-world problems and designing solutions. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your strengths and interests.

4. Can I switch majors if I change my mind?

Yes, it is possible to switch majors if you change your mind. However, keep in mind that there may be specific requirements or prerequisites for each major that you will need to fulfill. It's best to speak with an academic advisor to determine the best path for switching majors.

5. What kind of courses will I take in each major?

In physics, you can expect to take courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. In mechanical engineering, you will take courses in mechanics, fluid dynamics, materials science, and solid mechanics. Both majors will also include general education requirements and elective courses to customize your education. Again, the specific courses will vary depending on the university and program.