Still can't figure out which field of Engineering

In summary, the individual is an older student with experience in supervising and operating a shift at a wastewater treatment plant. They are interested in designing more efficient treatment systems using bio-reactors and control systems, and are considering pursuing a degree in Environmental Engineering with a focus on biochemistry. They are also interested in learning about control systems and are considering a path in Electrical Engineering. They have a planned schedule for their remaining years in college and are excited to continue their studies in EE.
Nick M
I'm still trying to pick the proper field within engineering. I'm an older student (26) with close to 10 years experience supervising/operating a shift at a wastewater treatment plant. I've also held the lab technician position for a number of years as well.

My interests are in designing new, and much more efficient treatment systems using staged bio-reactors that have optimized environments through the use of control systems/vessel design, and applications of new discoveries from biochemistry.

Water/Wastewater treatment has traditionally fell within the realm of Civil, but lately it seems to have grown roots within the fairly-new field of Environmental Engineering. While the Civil program has a few environmental classes, most of what they cover I already know from my field experience. The Environmental program is actually a masters degree program at my school, with most people entering with either a BS in Civil or Chemical Engineering.

I really want to learn EE, specifically control systems, so that I can apply that knowledge as a tool for reactor control system design. Since a good part of the early ChE program is made up from classes within the chemistry department (and these classes/labs are offered in the summer), I can complete a degree in EE along with 50%+ of the ChE classes required for graduation (as well as two BioChem classes). The EE program here is very flexible, whereas the ChE program seems to discourage cross-discipline exposure outside of Biology/Biochemistry. I would then enter the Environmental Engineering masters program which is really focused on the biochemistry of what I want to do, but seems to be very much applied and not as open ended for further research as say, a masters in ChE.

The alternative is a degree in ChE and a minor in Biochemistry which will roll right into a masters in ChE that focuses specifically on Reactor design and the advanced Biochemistry environment I seek - but leave me clueless with systems control (very important part).

I'm registered now for a path in EE with the above plusses and minuses, but I'm still not convinced to a level of reasonable certainty that my mind requires to not constantly think about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nick M said:
My interests are in designing new, and much more efficient treatment systems using staged bio-reactors that have optimized environments through the use of control systems/vessel design, and applications of new discoveries from biochemistry.
From here, I think you have your answer... Design is important if you plan to work for companies who manufacture the reactors, but if you wish to continue to work in the waste treatment plant business, whether directly with the plant or through a consulting company, I think your time would be better spent in the EE program, especially if it's as flexible as you mentioned.

Thanks for the comment noumed.
-----
I'm going to continue with the BS in EE, and focus heavily on Chemistry, Biochemistry, and ChE through electives and summer courses. Here is my plan for the Spring and the next three years. I made sure all the times work right - and they tend to stay the same for the most part.

Spring Semester '09
Differential Equations
Three Dimensional Animation (Personal Interest)
Java Programming
Thermodynamics I

Summer
Organic Chemistry I

Sophomore Year (Super Sophomore)
Introduction to Digital Design
Circuit Analysis I
Data Structures & Algorithms
Biology I

Circuit Analysis II
Hardware Organization & Design
Fluid Mechanics
Biology II

Summer
Organic Chemistry II

Junior Year
Signals & Systems
Electronics I
Semiconductor Devices and Materials
Computer Systems Lab I

Introduction to Probability & Random Processes
Electronics II
Fields and Waves
Writing in Engineering (Required)

Senior Year
Senior Design Project I
Feedback Control Systems
Thermodynamics II
Kinetics & Reactor Design

Senior Design Project II
Digital Control of Dynamic Systems
Computer Systems Lab II
Heat & Mass Transfer
Cellular & Molecular Biology

That almost looked like my 4-year schedule in college! Minus the Thermo, Bio, and Chem stuff of course... Ah the memories...

Looks like you're all set! Keep us updated from time to time on how it's going! EE is such a broad major, I wouldn't be surprised if you found something else that piques your interest in the field. I know I was suprised when I found out I like analog circuits more than digital. Good luck!

1. What are the different fields of engineering?

There are many different fields of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and aerospace engineering. Each field focuses on designing, creating, and improving different types of systems and structures.

2. How do I choose which field of engineering to pursue?

It's important to first identify your interests and strengths. Research the different fields and their job responsibilities to see which aligns with your skills and passions. You can also talk to professionals in each field to gain insight into their day-to-day tasks.

3. What are the job prospects for each field of engineering?

The job prospects for each field of engineering vary, but overall, there is a high demand for engineers in all fields. Factors such as location, industry, and experience can also impact job opportunities.

4. Are there any common skills or courses required for all fields of engineering?

While each field has its own set of specific skills and courses, there are some common skills that are important for all engineers. These include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and a solid understanding of math and science.

5. Can I switch between fields of engineering once I have started my career?

While it is possible to switch between fields of engineering, it may require additional education or training. It's important to consider your long-term goals and choose a field that aligns with them, but also keep in mind that your career path may change over time.