Surprising Gradient not 'Surprising Enough'

• Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gradient
In summary, the conversation discusses a vector function and its divergence, which was initially thought to be surprising. However, after further calculations, it was found that the divergence should actually be zero due to the direction of the vector being radially outward. The conversation also mentions using the divergence theorem to calculate the flux and checking calculations using mathematica.
rohanprabhu
[SOLVED] Surprising Gradient not 'Surprising Enough'

Homework Statement

Q] Sketch the vector function and

[tex]
v = \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2}
[/tex]

and compute it's divergence. The answer may surprise you... can you explain it?

['r' is the position vector in the Euclidean space]

Homework Equations

[tex]
\nabla \cdot v = \frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\mathbf{r} = x\hat{i} + y\hat{j} + z\hat{k}
[/tex]

and,

[tex]
\mathbf{\hat{r}} = \frac{x\hat{i} + y\hat{j} + z\hat{k}}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}}
[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]
\frac{\mathbf{\hat{r}}}{r^2} = \frac{x\hat{i} + y\hat{j} + z\hat{k}}{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\nabla \cdot v = \frac{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}((x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^3 - 3x^2)}{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^3} + \frac{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}((x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^3 - 3y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^3} + \frac{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}((x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^3 - 3z^2)}{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^3}
[/tex]

on using Simplify in Mathematica:

[tex]
\nabla \cdot v = \frac{3(-1 + x^4 + y^4 + 2y^2 z^2 + z^4 + 2x^2 y^2 + 2x^2 z^2))}{(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}
[/tex]

But there was nothing 'surprising' about this result. What am I doing it wrong?

Also, this problem is from D. Griffith's 'Introduction to Electrodynamics'. And I am at the 2nd chapter which deals with Calculus used in Electrodynamics. The thing is that I am heavily confused between a Gradient, Divergence and Curl. Hence, to overcome that, I think the only way is practicing a lot of questions. Could anyone please show me any source where I could get lots of questions on Gradient, Divergence and Curl to practice [it'd be nice if it were a free resource].

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The divergence should be zero. Would that be surprising? There is something going wrong. Since you now know it's wrong, can you correct it?

well yes.. a zero divergence would be surprising.. but i have no idea as to what I have done wrong...

I was hoping I wouldn't have to check the gory details. It's
d/dx(x/r^3)+d/dy(y/r^3)+d/dz(z/r^3). Is that what you did? There's a good physical reason for it being zero. I'm glad you are surprised.

Yes.. that is what I did... And is it zero because the direction of the vector is always radially outward?

Why should you be surprised? Try calculating the flux of that vector field through the unit sphere first using the divergence theorem (saying that the divergence is 0) and then calculate the flux directly as a surface integral.

Edit: But first maybe let's check your original calculation...

rohanprabhu said:
Yes.. that is what I did... And is it zero because the direction of the vector is always radially outward?

No, it's because it's the electric field outside of a point charge and divergence measures the density of source for the charge. So outside of the point charge, there is no charge density, hence divergence is zero. Do I really have to check the details, can't you do it? You have mathematica!

Last edited:
well yes.. got it.. I had calculated the partial derivative wrongly.

Thanks for the quick reply...

d/dx(x/r^3)=(1*r^3-x*3*r^2*dr/dx)/r^6. dr/dx=x/r. Analogously for y and z. Check that.

rohanprabhu said:
well yes.. got it.. I had calculated the partial derivative wrongly.

Thanks for the quick reply...

I knew you could do it.

What is "Surprising Gradient not 'Surprising Enough'"?

"Surprising Gradient not 'Surprising Enough'" is a phenomenon in which a gradient, or a gradual change in a particular variable, is not as extreme or unexpected as initially predicted or perceived.

What factors can contribute to "Surprising Gradient not 'Surprising Enough'"?

There are various factors that can contribute to this phenomenon, including measurement errors, sample size, and the complexity of the system being studied.

How is "Surprising Gradient not 'Surprising Enough'" relevant to scientific research?

Understanding and addressing the issue of "Surprising Gradient not 'Surprising Enough'" is important in scientific research as it can impact the validity and accuracy of findings and conclusions. It also highlights the need for careful and thorough data analysis and interpretation.

Can "Surprising Gradient not 'Surprising Enough'" be avoided?

While it may not be possible to completely avoid this phenomenon, there are steps that can be taken to minimize its occurrence. These include using larger sample sizes, conducting multiple studies, and considering alternative explanations for results.

How can scientists address "Surprising Gradient not 'Surprising Enough'" in their research?

Scientists can address this issue by being transparent about their methods and data, conducting thorough analyses and considering potential sources of error or bias, and replicating studies to ensure the reliability of their findings.