How to Solve Question 36 on Time-Displacement Diagrams?

In summary, the student needs help with question 36 from a physics exam, which involves interpreting graphs of velocity and displacement. The solution involves understanding the relationship between velocity and displacement, and the answer is (1).
majormuss

Homework Statement

Guys I urgently need help with this question I hfound online. I cannot paste it here because it has all these diagrams which cannot be copied. Could you please just follow the link and tell how best to figure out the question( its the question number 36) The one about the diagrams.
http://www.nysedregents.org/Physics/20050127exam.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess was the number '3' but it seems am wrong. how can I simply deduce the answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have taken a calculus class then you can easily see the answer by realizing that the velocity graph should be the derivative of the displacement graph.

But in either case, first look at the displacement graph, and think about it's slope. A straight line has a constant slope right?
A velocity graph that matches the displacement graph should basically be a "graph of the slope" of the displacement graph. Because "velocity" is the rate of change of the position.

From the graph, the answer should be 2. It can be understood as the Brownian motion.

Are you looking at the same problem Hahong?

He was asking about number 36, which is the velocity and displacement graphs.
The answer is (1) btw...

1. What is a Time-Displacement diagram?

A Time-Displacement diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between time and displacement of an object. It shows how the position of an object changes over time and can be used to analyze the motion of the object.

2. How is a Time-Displacement diagram created?

A Time-Displacement diagram is created by plotting the displacement of an object on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The data points are then connected to form a line, which represents the motion of the object over time.

3. What information can be obtained from a Time-Displacement diagram?

A Time-Displacement diagram can provide information about the velocity and acceleration of an object. The slope of the line on the diagram represents the velocity, and the curvature of the line represents the acceleration.

4. How is a Time-Displacement diagram different from a Time-Velocity diagram?

A Time-Displacement diagram shows the position of an object over time, while a Time-Velocity diagram shows the velocity of an object over time. The two diagrams can be used together to analyze the motion of an object more comprehensively.

5. How is a Time-Displacement diagram used in scientific research?

Time-Displacement diagrams are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects and to calculate important parameters such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement. They are also used to study the behavior of complex systems and to make predictions about future motion.