How Far Does a Charged Particle Travel in an Electric Field?

In summary, the task is to find the distance travelled by a 1-gram particle with a charge of 1 milliC in a uniform electric field of magnitude 10 V/m in 2 seconds. The solution involves using the equations F=E*q and F=ma to find the constant acceleration, and then using kinematics to calculate the distance travelled. The answer is not 10m.
floridianfisher

Homework Statement

A 1-gram particle with a charge of 1 milliC starts from rest in a uniform electric field of magnitude E = 10 V/m. How
far (in m) does the particle travel in 2 seconds?
I know the answere is 10 but I don't know how to find it

Homework Equations

PE/q=-Ex

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted all units but I have PE and change in x left and I am stumped can anyone help

I have PE/.oo1= -10* x

I know the answere is 10m already but I can't figure out how

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't use PE. Use force F=E*q. Then use F=ma to find the constant acceleration. Now use kinematics to find the distance travelled. I don't think the answer is 10m.

to get there.

Thank you for your question. To find the distance traveled by the particle, we need to use the equation for electric potential energy:

PE = q*ΔV

Where PE is the electric potential energy, q is the charge of the particle, and ΔV is the change in potential energy.

In this case, we have a 1-gram particle with a charge of 1 milliC, so we can substitute these values into the equation:

PE = (0.001 C)*(10 V/m) = 0.01 J

Now, we can use the fact that the particle starts from rest and assume that all of its initial potential energy is converted into kinetic energy:

KE = 0.5*m*v^2

Where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity.

We know that the particle travels for 2 seconds, so we can use the equation for average velocity:

v = Δx/Δt

Substituting the values we know, we get:

0.01 J = 0.5*(0.001 kg)*[(Δx/2 s)^2]

Solving for Δx, we get:

Δx = 2*sqrt(0.01/0.001) = 2*sqrt(10) = 2*3.162 = 6.324 m

Therefore, the particle travels 6.324 meters in 2 seconds in a uniform electric field with a magnitude of 10 V/m. I hope this helps!

What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position relative to other charged particles.

How is electric potential energy calculated?

Electric potential energy can be calculated using the formula U = qV, where U is the potential energy, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the electric potential at that point.

What units are used to measure electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is typically measured in joules (J) or electron volts (eV).

What is the relationship between electric potential energy and electric potential?

Electric potential energy and electric potential are directly proportional. This means that as the electric potential increases, so does the electric potential energy.

How does electric potential energy affect electric fields?

Electric potential energy can be thought of as the potential for work to be done by an electric field on a charged particle. As the electric potential energy increases, the electric field becomes stronger and has a greater ability to do work on the charged particle.