Took GRE Chances of MS in Engineering

In summary, the electrical/computer engineering programs at Rutgers, NJIT, NYIT, U of Bridgeport, and Stony Brook are all interested in your application, but your GRE scores are the most important metric.
BPBAIR
Hey Guys,

A bit a about me

BS in physics from a Top 75 small state school

GPA: 3.07

GRE: 640 Quant
490 Verbal

Research: 1 optical research with a prof at my college

Work experience: IT for a pharma company this past summer
IT for the school of engineering the past 3 years

I really want to go for a masters in computer engineering to get a little bit more background so that I am not bouncing engineering job to engineering job when I graduate. It seems like every alumni who tried to go straight into industry with just a BS is miserable and I really enjoy computer engineering and am extremely good at programming and working with computers (IT) haha.

Do I have a reasonable chance to earn my MS in electrical/computer engineering at the following schools:
1.) Rutgers
2.) NJIT
3.) NYIT
4.) U of Bridgeport
5.) Stony Brook
6.) FDU

Let me know what you think. I am not going to take the GRE again b/c I felt I did relatively well for myself. Those scores are the most likely the best I can do. I am afraid the quant is really low when compared to other engineers' scores and I don't know why but I thought doing better than 70% of the population was decent.

Thanks guys you are always pretty helpful

Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid the quant is really low when compared to other engineers' scores and I don't know why but I thought doing better than 70% of the population was decent

The quant score distributions are way different for engineers than the general populace. The AVERAGE EE quant score is over 700 according to this site http://www.ncsu.edu/chass/philo/GRE%20Scores%20by%20Intended%20Graduate%20Major.htm . You're not applying to top schools, but you should at least know where you stand compared to the average EE. The GRE's are very important metric for being considered minimally viable for a program.

I agree with jhicks - comparing a GRE score to the general populace isn't so useful, since you really need to compare it to scores from people in your intended subfield.

I see several areas where your application should be stronger:

(1) An undergraduate degree in a different field. That means you'll have to spend time (perhaps a year, perhaps longer) catching up with the rest of your class. A candidate who doesn't have to catch up will certainly look more appealing.

(2) A B average. In graduate school, a B average is usually the acceptable minimum. It doesn't look good to be so close to that line as an undergraduate, where the classes are generally regarded as easier.

(3) GRE scores, which we talked about.

Being "extremely good at programming" is probably not as helpful as you might think. Its analogous to being extremely good at bricklaying and trying to get into a civil engineering program.

Is there any way to improve my chances other than taking the GRE over again? maybe emphasize the research I've done and the internship... Do I have a realistic chance of getting into an ms program?

1. What is the GRE and why is it important for MS in Engineering admissions?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test used by many graduate schools, including those offering MS in Engineering programs, to assess applicants' verbal and quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, and analytical writing skills. It is an important factor in the admissions process as it helps schools evaluate applicants' potential for success in graduate-level coursework.

2. How do my GRE scores impact my chances of getting accepted into an MS in Engineering program?

GRE scores are just one aspect of the admissions process, and their weight varies from school to school. While they are an important factor, they are not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider other aspects such as undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. Therefore, while strong GRE scores can improve your chances, they are not the sole determining factor.

3. What is considered a good GRE score for MS in Engineering admissions?

There is no specific "good" GRE score as it ultimately depends on the competitiveness of the program you are applying to. However, the average GRE scores for admitted students in engineering programs tend to be around 160-165 for Verbal Reasoning and 160-170 for Quantitative Reasoning. It is important to research the average GRE scores of the programs you are applying to and aim to score above those averages.

4. What happens if I don't do well on the GRE?

While strong GRE scores can enhance your application, low scores do not necessarily disqualify you from being accepted into an MS in Engineering program. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, and a low GRE score can be offset by other strengths in your application, such as a high undergraduate GPA or relevant work experience. Additionally, some programs may have a minimum GRE score requirement, so it is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

5. Can I retake the GRE to improve my chances of getting into an MS in Engineering program?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your scores. However, it is important to keep in mind that some schools may consider all of your GRE attempts, while others may only consider your highest scores. Additionally, there is a fee for each GRE attempt, so it is important to weigh the potential benefits against the cost before deciding to retake the exam.