A good online maths degree for a game programmer?

• Programs
  • Thread starter morius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Game
In summary, the two types of degrees that are mentioned are an undergraduate degree for people who are not intending to go on to graduate school and a graduate degree for those who are. If you just want an undergraduate degree, the degrees that are mentioned are the University of Illinois' BA in Mathematical Sciences and the Saint Mary of the Woods' Math major. If you want a graduate degree, the degrees that are mentioned are the University of Arkansas at Little Rock's BS in mathematics and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's open course program.
morius
Hi everyone, I'm currently a game programming student who is searching for a good online undergrad maths degree.
I have read some threads here and someone (vanadium 50) mentioned there are two types of maths degrees: "ones for people not going on to graduate school, and ones for people who are"
So, if I just wanted to have this degree just because I really like maths and I absolutely love learning new stuff (plus, it helps with my career), which one would you recommend?
On the other hand, if I wanted to later get a Masters in maths (for example, the online masters offered by Texas A&M), which one would be better?

I would really appreciate guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does one wish an undergraduate program or graduate program in mathematics?

Also with respect to Vanadium 50's comment, I would favor a more rigorous mathematics program such as one that would lead to a graduate/advanced degree.

Also realize that there are two tracks in math - pure math (e.g. abstract algebra, . . .) and applied math. It sounds like one would benefit from a degree based on applied math subjects.

I think many state universities are starting to offer online courses. Perhaps one can contact the math department at the public universities in one's state and community.

Otherwise, MIT has an open course program - but not for degree. We also have a learning materials section that has several topical threads in mathematics.

Thanks for the reply, Astronuc.

I'm looking for an undergraduate degree, but I would like to keep open the possibility of getting a graduate degree afterwards.

I have seen some of the MIT's open course material and I think it's great. However, I would prefer to actually get into a degree program. It will be more rigorous and it would be easier to get counselling in case I don't understand something... Plus, there would be some sort of order in the subjects.

So far, the ones I've found are:
BA in Mathematical Sciences from University of Illinois http://www.uis.edu/math/curriculum/BA.html
BS in mathematics from University of Arkansas at Little Rock http://ualr.edu/extendedprograms/index.php/home/programs/bachelors-degrees/bs-math/ and the requirements were posted by another guy here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=276191
Math major at Saint Mary of the Woods http://www.smwc.edu/academics/departments/sciences_mathematics/mathematics/degree_requirements.php

Which one do you think is offering a better curriculum?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What courses are typically included in a good online maths degree for game programming?

A good online maths degree for game programming will typically include courses in calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and computer science. These courses provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills that are essential for game programming.

2. Can I pursue a good online maths degree for game programming even if I have no previous programming experience?

Yes, many online maths degrees for game programming are designed for students with no previous programming experience. However, it is recommended that students have a strong aptitude for mathematics and are willing to learn programming concepts.

3. Are there any online resources or tutorials that can supplement a good online maths degree for game programming?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can supplement a good online maths degree for game programming. These resources can include coding websites, online courses, and video tutorials that can provide additional practice and support for learning complex mathematical concepts.

4. Is a good online maths degree for game programming enough to become a successful game programmer?

A good online maths degree for game programming can provide a strong foundation for a career in game programming, but it is not the only factor in becoming a successful game programmer. Other important skills such as creativity, problem-solving, and teamwork are also crucial for success in the game development industry.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of game programming within a good online maths degree program?

Yes, some online maths degrees for game programming offer specialization options in areas such as graphics and animation, artificial intelligence, or game development. These specializations allow students to focus their studies and develop expertise in a specific area of game programming.