Solving [L_z,p^2] = 0: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter bdforbes
  • Start date
In summary, the author seems to be trying to calculate the commutator of x and px^2, but is having difficulty.
bdforbes
I think [L_z,p^2] is supposed to equal zero, but when I'm getting

= x*(p_y)*(p_x)^2 - y*(p_x)*(p_y)^2

and that doesn't appear to equal zero. Could someone please show a couple steps to help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
What method have you used? You want to calculate the commutator [itex][L_z,p^2]=[xp_y-yp_x,p^2][/tex]. You need to expand this and then simplify.

isn't p stands for something like
[tex]p_x = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]
?

These are the steps I used:

[itex] [L_z,p^2]=[L_z,p_x^2+p_y^2+p_z^2] [/itex]
[itex]= [L_z,p_x^2]+[L_z,p_y^2][/itex]
[itex]= [xp_y,p_x^2]-[yp_x,p_x^2]+[xp_y,p_y^2]-[yp_x,p_y^2][/itex]
[itex]= p_y x p_x^2-p_x y p_y^2[/itex]

note:
[tex]\left[x_i,p_j\right]= i\hbar \delta_{ij}[/tex]
look what you have done..

mjsd said:
isn't p stands for something like
[tex]p_x = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]
?

No, [tex]p=\sqrt{p_x^2+p_y^2+p_z^2}[/tex]; but the OP seems to have got this part.

mjsd said:
note:
[tex]\left[x_i,p_j\right]= i\hbar \delta_{ij}[/tex]
look what you have done..

I've used that result to eliminate some terms, but I can't see how it would eliminate the other terms. I could use it to permute the factors of the final terms I have, but that isn't too useful.

sorry had some network problems...
are you sure it is p^2 not L^2?

bdforbes said:
These are the steps I used:

[tex] [L_z,p^2]=[L_z,p_x^2+p_y^2+p_z^2] [/tex]
[tex]= [L_z,p_x^2]+[L_z,p_y^2][/tex]
[tex]= [xp_y,p_x^2]-[yp_x,p_x^2]+[xp_y,p_y^2]-[yp_x,p_y^2][/tex]

This is correct, and the 2nd and 3rd terms are zero. But in the 1st term, we can pull out the p_y (because it commutes with everything else), and similarly the p_x in the 4th term; then we have

[tex]= p_y[x,p_x^2]-p_x[y,p_y^2][/tex]

Then you need to evaluate the remaining commutators using

[tex][A,BC]=[A,B]C + B[A,C][/tex]

Thank you, that identity did the trick. That means that

[itex]p_y x p_x^2 = p_x y p_y^2[/itex]

but they don't look equal to me! Is there any way other than using the commutators that you could prove the above equality?

How did you get that? It's not correct. Did you compute the commutator of x and px^2? What did you get?

[itex] [x,p_x^2]=x p_x^2 - p_x^2 x = x p_x^2[/itex]

Oh wait I see what I did wrong! I eliminated the second term because I was hitting x with [itex]p_x^2[/itex], but I forgot that these are operators acting on an unknown function, so it's more like [itex]p_x^2 ( xf ) [/itex].
Thanks for the help.

Related to Solving [L_z,p^2] = 0: Step-by-Step Guide

1. What is the purpose of solving [L_z,p^2] = 0?

The purpose of solving [L_z,p^2] = 0 is to determine the solutions for the commutator between the angular momentum operator in the z-direction and the square of the momentum operator. This is an important step in understanding the quantum mechanical behavior of a system.

2. What is the significance of [L_z,p^2] = 0 in quantum mechanics?

The commutator [L_z,p^2] = 0 is significant in quantum mechanics because it represents a fundamental relationship between two important operators. It also has implications for the uncertainty principle and the quantization of energy levels in a system.

3. What is the step-by-step process for solving [L_z,p^2] = 0?

The step-by-step process for solving [L_z,p^2] = 0 involves using the commutator properties, the definition of the angular momentum and momentum operators, and the eigenvalue equations for these operators. This process can be complex and may involve algebraic manipulations and substitutions.

4. How does solving [L_z,p^2] = 0 relate to other equations in quantum mechanics?

Solving [L_z,p^2] = 0 is related to other equations in quantum mechanics through the principles of commutation and the definition of operators. It is also closely related to the equations for other operators, such as the Hamiltonian and the total angular momentum operator.

5. What are the applications of solving [L_z,p^2] = 0?

Solving [L_z,p^2] = 0 has applications in various fields of physics, including atomic and molecular physics, quantum optics, and quantum information theory. It is also a fundamental step in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems and can provide insights into the structure and dynamics of matter at the microscopic level.