How Do You Prove This Trigonometric Identity in a Triangle?

• Thread starter mohlam12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a triangle and the equation sinB+sinC-sinA=4cos(A/2)sin(B/2)sin(C/2). The expert summarizer provided a step-by-step approach to solving the problem using identities and the formula for the difference of two cosines. The final result was 4cos(A/2)sin(B/2)sin(C/2).
mohlam12
Hey
So, I have to show that in a triangle, we have : (A, B, C are the angles of that triangle)

sinB+sinC-sinA=4cos(A/2)sin(B/2)sin(C/2)

okay, here is what I got to, then I got stuck
i got it equal to:

sinB+sinC-sinA = 2cos(A/2)cos(B/2)cos(C/2)+2cos(A/2)sin(B/2)sin(C/2)-2sin(B/2)sin(C/2)

I don't know what to do next! Any hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know that A + B + C = π

or,

A/2 = π/2 - (B+C)/2

hence,

sin(A/2) = sin(π/2 - (B+C)/2) = cos((B+C)/2)

and,

cos(A/2) = cos(π/2 - (B+C)/2) = sin((B+C)/2)

I wouldn't use these identities in the expression you already have, but rather start from the beginning again, keeping these identies in mind.

yes, that's what I did to get to the equation above. But I don't know what to do after...! So it can be equal to 4cos(A/2)sin(B/2)sin(C/2)

Last edited:
sinB + sinc - sinA =
2sin((B+C)/2)cos((B-C)/2) - 2sin(A/2)cos(A/2)

now use those identities

yup, i used that before, and didn't get to anything good.
Here is what I could do with it:

sinB+sinC-sinA =
2cos(A/2)cos(B/2)cos(C/2)+2cos(A/2)sin(B/2)sin(C/2)+2sin(A/2)cos(B/2)cos(C/2)-2sin(A/2)sin(B/2)sin(C/2)

sinB + sinc - sinA =
2sin((B+C)/2)cos((B-C)/2) - 2sin(A/2)cos(A/2)

using the identities, we get,

2cos(A/2).cos((B-C)/2) - 2sin(A/2).cos(A/2)
2cos(A/2){cos((B-C)/2) - sin(A/2)}

using the identities again,

2cos(A/2){cos((B-c)/2) - cos((B+C)/2)}

now use the formula for the difference of two cosines,

2cos(A/2){2sin(B/2)sin(C/2)}
4cos(A/2)sin(B/2)sin(C/2)
===================

OH YES! Sorry I didnt notice that I should use the formula for the difference of two cosines... Thanks a lot!

What is a triangle equation?

A triangle equation is a mathematical formula used to find the unknown sides or angles of a triangle. It is typically represented by the variables a, b, and c for the sides, and A, B, and C for the angles.

What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used to solve triangle equations?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem can be used to find the missing side in a triangle equation by rearranging the formula to solve for the unknown side.

What other methods can be used to solve triangle equations?

Other methods for solving triangle equations include the Law of Sines and the Law of Cosines. These methods can be used for triangles that are not right triangles, and involve using ratios of the sides and angles to find the missing values.

What are some common mistakes when solving triangle equations?

Some common mistakes when solving triangle equations include using the wrong formula for the given triangle, forgetting to convert units when necessary, and rounding too early in the calculation process. It is important to carefully review the given information and choose the appropriate method before attempting to solve the equation.

How can I check my answer when solving a triangle equation?

You can check your answer by using the given information and the solved values to see if they satisfy the original equation. For example, in the Pythagorean theorem, you can plug in the known values for the sides and see if they equal the square of the hypotenuse. Additionally, you can use a calculator or online tool to verify your calculations.