Problem with non-commutative functions(quantum mechanics)

• Thread starter GarethB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation is about proving that if G(λ) = eλAeλB for two operators A and B, then dG/dλ = [A+B+λ[A,B]/1!+λ2[A,[A,B]]/2!+....]G. The discussion includes different approaches to this problem, such as Taylor expanding G(λ) and using the product rule. Eventually, it is discovered that the identity eλbAe-λb can be used to obtain the desired result.
GarethB
1. I am working through E.Merzbacher quantum mechanics. The problem is;
if G(λ) =eλAeλB for two operators A and B, show that
dG/dλ=[A+B+λ[A,B]/1!+λ2[A,[A,B]]/2!+....]G

2. [A,B] is taken to mean AB-BA

3. The only way I can think of proving this is by taylor expanding G(λ) and then differentiang each term in the expansion with respect to λ; this has not worked! Can anyone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to expand on my attempt at a solution so far, which I think is barking up the wrong tree even though it seems close is;
1) taylor expand G(λ) at f(0) I get

G=1+λ[A+B]+λ2(A2+2AB+B2)/2!+...
=1+λ[A+B]+λ2(A+B)2/2!+λ3(A+B)3/3!
and then what makes this tempting is that differentiating with respect to λ I get
dG/dλ=[A+B]+λ(A+B)2/1!+λ2(A+B)3/2!

Why I am sure this is the wrong approach is that;
1. the whole expansion is supposed to be multiplied by G, which clearly it is not
2. I have no idea if the (A+B)2, (A+B)3 can be expressed it the commutative notation [A,B], [A,[A,B]] etc. probably not so back to square one.

be more careful when expanding quadratics since (A+B)(A+B) = A^2 +AB +BA +B^2 = A^2 +[A,B] +2BA +B^2

Last edited:
Sorry perhaps I was unclear, I know that the quadratic expansions do not equal where I am (was) trying to get.
Anyway I have since cracked it. The procedure is to use the prouct rule to get dG/dλ. You then multiply by eλbe-λb. You end up with
dG/dλ=[B+eλbAe-λb]G
The term eλbAe-λb] is an identity provided in the textbook. Substitution of this identity gives the result. Thanks.

I can provide some insight into the problem with non-commutative functions in quantum mechanics.

Firstly, let's define what commutativity means in this context. In quantum mechanics, operators are used to represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. These operators do not always commute with each other, meaning that the order in which they are applied can affect the outcome of a measurement. For example, the position and momentum operators do not commute, so measuring the position and then the momentum of a particle may give different results than measuring the momentum and then the position.

Now, coming to your specific problem, the non-commutativity of operators can lead to complications in calculations, as seen in the expression you have provided. The term [A,B] in your expression represents the commutator of the operators A and B. This means that when these operators are multiplied in different orders, the result is not the same. This can be seen in the example of position and momentum operators mentioned earlier.

To prove the given expression, you can use the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff (BCH) formula, which is a method commonly used in quantum mechanics to deal with non-commutative operators. The formula states that eXeY = eZ, where Z is a function of X and Y, given by Z = X + Y + [X,Y]/2! + [X,[X,Y]]/3! + [X,[X,[X,Y]]]/4! + ... . Using this, you can show that the term dG/dλ in your expression is equal to the expansion of Z in the BCH formula, which will give you the desired result.

In conclusion, the problem with non-commutative functions in quantum mechanics is that they can complicate calculations and lead to different outcomes depending on the order of operations. However, the use of methods like the BCH formula can help in dealing with these non-commutative operators. I hope this helps in understanding the issue and solving your problem.

1. What is non-commutativity in quantum mechanics?

Non-commutativity in quantum mechanics refers to the fact that the order in which two operations are performed can affect the overall outcome. This is in contrast to classical mechanics, where the order of operations does not matter. In quantum mechanics, operators representing physical quantities such as position and momentum do not commute, meaning their order of operation can affect the result.

2. Why is non-commutativity important in quantum mechanics?

Non-commutativity is important in quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental property of quantum systems. It allows for uncertainty in measurements and is a key aspect of quantum entanglement and superposition. Non-commutativity also plays a crucial role in the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics and is necessary for accurately describing and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. How does non-commutativity impact the measurement of physical quantities in quantum mechanics?

Non-commutativity has a significant impact on the measurement of physical quantities in quantum mechanics. When measuring non-commuting operators, the order of operations matters, and this can introduce uncertainty into the measurement results. This is known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely one quantity is measured, the less precisely the other can be known.

4. Can non-commutativity be observed in everyday life?

No, non-commutativity is a property of quantum systems and is not observed in everyday life. It only becomes apparent when observing particles at the subatomic level. In the macroscopic world, classical mechanics accurately describes the behavior of objects, and commutativity holds true.

5. Are there any practical applications of non-commutativity in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many practical applications of non-commutativity in quantum mechanics. For example, it is essential for the functioning of quantum computers, which utilize the superposition and entanglement of particles to perform calculations. Non-commutativity also plays a crucial role in technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, which use quantum mechanics to study the properties of atoms and molecules.